add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

I already have 1 Sapphire r9 280x Tri-x OC 3GB. should i crossfire with a second one? im really thinking about it

DribbleJerp

54 months ago

Basically everything is in the Title.

So....Shoot!!! what have the computer gods have for me today?

Comments

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

It really depends on what you're doing with the card and the resolution of the games. Just looking at the US price, I would say it's a bit expensive for an R9 280X.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Well i play everything now on 1920x1080p so full HD and really mainly i play games is all. I use programs like sculptris sometimes but thats not graphically intensive

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

1080p is good for these cards because most games won't hit the VRAM limit (3GB) which I'm assuming you know is not doubled in SLI or CrossFire X (Instead it is copied from each card). If you are planing to go into a higher resolution such as 1440p, I would recommend against it. If you plan to be at 1080p for a bit and feel like you need some extra performance, go for it. If you have any questions about CrossFire scaling in particular games, you can ask or do some research to see the performance gains.

I might note that we can expect the R9 370X by mid July which is likely the 285/280X chip for less. It might only carry 2GB VRAM though? It will however be offered cheaper.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh yeah i know its not doubled but i read that with DX12 come out it will eventually double the VRAM essentially along with other things so i have that to look forward to. No right now 1080p is perfect for me and i dont see any real positives yet to going to a higher resolution since my games look good already.

I might still wait until july for the price drops since i still need to upgrade a few things but they should be done within a month or so. maybe less. if not its no biggie if i dont miss out on the price drop and less Vram is a turnoff since with games like shadow of mordor i feel that the extra vram is one of the reasons i can play it so well. Do you crossfire? or SLI? i saw you have an i3 with 3 other builds. If so what games do you play and whats the performance like?

By the time im done it will be about $1500 or so for this build

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

I still play on a GTX 660 and performance is usually just fine for me. I play StarCraft 2, Team Fortress 2, Heroes of the Storm, Counter Strike GO, etc. Basically nothing too demanding. I do not SLI because I really don't need to or want to spend the money.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh ok i see now. I saw some benchmarks and i really do want to get the second card. Even though it doesnt work with all games it will still be a large benefit with the ones that do .

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube