add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Intel Core 2 Quad Extreme QX6800 on P45

dragoon20005
  • 62 months ago

Well few weeks ago, my Core 2 Duo E7200 just died and the mobo is barely alive

but given that I only have like 200-300 dollars for the PC

I could only find used parts to keep the PC alive

I happen to find a used PC store with a bunch of QX6700 and one QX6800 CPUs

he was selling the QX6800 for around 40 dollars

and a buddy of mine has a Gigabyte P45 and 8GB of DDR2 RAM to spare me

with the QX6800 and P45 board, should it be enough for general purpose PC?

I dont play any latest games, only old school games like Mechwarrior 4 which are 2000 era games

Thanks Regards Dragoon20005

Comments

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

You'd be surprised what you can do for $300.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor $62.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard ASRock Z97 Anniversary ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $84.99 @ SuperBiiz
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 4GB (1 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory $34.99 @ Newegg
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $47.99 @ NCIX US
Case Xigmatek Recon ATX Mid Tower Case $29.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply Antec High Current Gamer 620W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $68.01 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $321.96
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-02-25 04:28 EST-0500

This is a low-end PC with some fairly modern bits. I went with the G3258 rather than an Athlon so you can upgrade later on. Feel free to overclock the life out of that CPU, the PSU won't mind.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

thing is thou the prices of new LGA 1150 parts are fairly expensive where I stay which is Singapore

the price of the Pentium CPU is way higher at 80 USD est

the same board that you suggested is 100 USD and RAM is like 45 USD

the HDD are still running fine and so is the PSU and case I got is the Centurion 5

i only need to get the CPU, and GPU and the rest are free parts

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

OK, but I'm just a bit meh about using older parts in a half-new build?

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

most of the parts that i am getting are used thou :/

this is what i have when you are trying to pay off study loans for my degree on top of the daily expenses

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, fair enough. I'm 12 so idk anything :P

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

you are forgiven

i still need experts on LGA775 in the forums

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

It should work decently well. I bought a used Q6600 to replace my mom's E8400 when it died, and it works pretty well for basic tasks.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, I have a PC with a Q6600 and it runs smoothly still. A extreme edition will be even faster.

Funny how intel's pricing works, $1000 CPU = $80 CPU + 10 years.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

ok how you think it will fare if comparing to the modern CPUs?

do you guys think it will even beat the AMD 860K in terms of IPC and MT applications ?

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Not beat, 860K would still be faster. However, in gaming they would be nearly equal.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Big surprise the P45 already has a cpu but you nvr guess the cpu installed. A Q6600. I was like woah... but i went to get the QX6800. Building it tmr.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

ok how you think it will fare if comparing to the modern CPUs?

do you guys think it will even beat the AMD 860K in terms of IPC and MT applications ?

I was thinking of trying to look for the QX9000 series cpu on ebay but seems they are hard to come by along with X48 boards

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

It's probably around on-par in terms of IPC with an FX-43xx series CPU, or an Athlon X4 750K.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Big surprise the P45 already has a cpu but you nvr guess the cpu installed. A Q6600. I was like woah... but i went to get the 6800.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Great to hear. Nothing wrong with a free CPU :)

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube