add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Lower the price without sacrificing performance?

ockymilkman
  • 84 months ago

Here's the build: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/ockymilkman/saved/1Sor

I'd like to be able to run modern games on med/high settings at 1080p. Is this setup viable? I'm willing to dabble in over-clocking (this will be my first build, and I don't have much experience); will this setup allow for that?

I'm not too knowledgable about motherboards in particular. Is this one a good choice?

I plan to add an SSD in the future for the OS. I have suitable monitor, keyboard/mouse, and speakers for the time being.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

edit: Updated build with advice from comments.

Comments

• 84 months ago
  • 2 points

There isn't much of anything to sacrifice here without losing performance. Almost everything is right at the bare minimum for Med/High gaming.

• 84 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks, I figured that might be the case.

• 84 months ago
  • 2 points

I'd say depending on how low you want to take the price there's a few changes however these will impact performance. Also unsure on US prices so somebody will have to confirm this. Processor could downgrade to an AMD FX6300 or similar. Depending on whether you wish to OC, stock cooler may be sufficient (you can always add later). Possibility of finding a cheaper or smaller HDD, unsure of US Seagate Barracuda prices. GPU alternatives are the 560ti however this will impact 1080p gaming so I'd advise you stick with the 660. Also I believe a 500w good quality PSU would suffice, however the 600w gives a little headroom. You need to balance the cost to performance ratio.

• 84 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the feedback. I'll probably hold off on OC'ing for awhile, so I'll nix the after market cooler per your suggestion. I guess I'll just keep my eyes open for deals and go from there. This website is a great tool! Thanks again.

• 84 months ago
  • 2 points

I'm not sure, but you could change to the newest APUs,they can handle most games at decent settings( medium-high), at good framerates

• 84 months ago
  • 2 points

Show me where an apu can get high settings on any mildly GPU intensive game?

• 84 months ago
  • 2 points

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvEpfJv__Fo

http://www.techspot.com/review/580-amd-a10-5800k/page7.html

Those are just some examples. For anyone on a budget it is a great solution for moderate gaming. It won't max out Crysis 3 on Ultra with Eyefinity, but it definitely gets the job done for most games.

• 84 months ago
  • 2 points

They are almost all on low ! The 6800k I hear plays medium

• 84 months ago
  • 2 points

Well you said graphically intensive games, right?

Crysis 2 (High @ 1280x800) 35FPS Max Payne 3 (Normal @ 1280x800) 49FPS Witcher 2 (Medium @ 1280x800) 32FPS

Also per that YouTube video: They say Bioshock Infinite is playable at Medium/High 30-40 FPS.

These are both in the link I put up earlier.

When you said "Show me where an apu can get high settings on any mildly GPU intensive game?" you must have failed to see Magic's comment, where he clearly stated "they can handle most games at decent settings (medium-high), at good frame-rates"

My links were just serving as proof to his statement.

While you may not think that this APU deserves any credit, or you may think it isn't as good as your Radeon HD 5450, it can still hold it's own.

• 84 months ago
  • 2 points

It beats that old 5450 any day but it doesn't be my crossfire 7870s but yes with an extra discrete GPU it can play high with no detail

• 84 months ago
  • 2 points

Do you live near a Microcenter, since that is what your CPU price is reflecting? If so you can save $40 on that MOBO.

You could also use the Microcenter bundle on the MSI 970A-G46. That means that you will spend $190 on both the CPU and MOBO.

I would use that ~$40 (or more if you go with MSI) and dump it into the GPU and attempt to get a 660ti or 7870XT, as this is where you will see most of your performance gain.

Also, I would look into something better than a builder series PSU from Corsair. Supposedly they use a mediocre OEM for their budget model PSU's. You could always look to the Silverstone Strider or something similar for $10 more.

TL:DR - You can't really lower the price anymore without sacrificing performance, but if you finagle a few things, you can squeeze a little more performance from this build, for roughly the same price.

• 84 months ago
  • 1 point

I live about 20 minutes away from a Microcenter, yeah. I couldn't find the MSI 970A-G46 bundle you referred to, but I'll certainly keep my eyes open for similar deals.

Thanks for the input re: Corsair budget PSU's. I'll look into something better within the same price range.

As for the GPU, I completely agree. I'm considering just going for the GTX 760, budget be damned. Is there a particular manufacturer you tend to prefer, out of curiosity?

Thanks for all your feedback. Good to know I'm at least on the right track, so far.

• 84 months ago
  • 1 point

Nevermind, I found the bundle you mentioned. It's a great deal, and I'll most likely take your advice and go for that. Thanks again!

• 84 months ago
  • 1 point

It is a great board for the price, and offers a lot of neat features, and offers a decent overclocking suite.

Money you save on that could be used for your GPU :)

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube