add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

NEED HElP Oc'ing a g3258 on an asus h97i plus

Sed8Op8
  • 68 months ago

Hi my fellow builders enthusiasts and all around geeks!! I bought an asus h97i to oc a intel g3258 pentium anniversary edition CPU for a SFF htpc/light gaming build. (I should have just spent the extra 30-40 on a z97 but everyone says these overclock) anyways my problem is in the bios ai tweak there's an option to unlock CPU multiplier which I do no prob as well as unlock voltage. I can either have the asus software auto overclock( which it does to 4.5 and 1.273v and sets the multiplier to 45 ) and i have manually set multiplier to 42 (4.2) and 1.2v because ideally it would run at 4.2 ....anyways the computer boots and in Cpuz it shows the clock speed set at 3199mhz instead of 4500 or 4200 and Cpuz shows the multiplier at either 8x-45 or 8x-42x depending if I adjust manually or with asus ez tune. So I go to prime95 and start stress testing and it WILL NOT go past 3199mhz even though the multiplier shows 8-42 or 8-45 instead of 8-32 which would be stock . I have tried disabling speed step unlocking max turbo core disabling turbo core etc. I am stumped and can't find any help. It says this mobo is unlocked for over clocking and have seen reviews of it being overclocked however I cannot figure it out or find any guides or answers and I am getting very frustrated.... SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!!!!!

Comments

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm going to refer you to a thread on another forum of someone who had a similar problem on another MB, maybe it will help.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1507855/g3258-on-msi-h81m-p33-multiplier-keeps-going-back-to-32x

• 68 months ago
  • 1 point

Reply thanks stil not reading more than 3199mhz....lol I am not exactly a uefi or bios guru!!! Lesson learned always spend the extra couple bucks.... Anyways thanks for the help I saw an interesting forum post with a self wrote program called throttle step ...I'm going to see if that will help and again thanks a lot!!!!

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

Hijacking this question because it's the first result for my issue. My issue with ocing my g3258 on my h97i was that Windows update KB3064209 will cause windows to crash on startup when overclocking the g3258. Uninstall the update to avoid this issue.

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

Did the user ever solve this issue? I don't think the update was the issue as he was able to boot into windows. I think normally it crashed when you OC'd the g3258. I am not sure if this update was out back 10 months ago when Sed8Op8 made the post. Also you don't need to uninstall update KB3064209 to fix the issue you can just rename the file c:\windows\system\mcupdate_GenuineIntel.dll to something like mcupdate_GenuineIntel.bak

I am currently running windows 10 on a OC'd g3258 with the update installed and only the file renamed.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube