add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
Eschaton
  • 69 months ago

On a scale of 1 to 10, how crazy is LoJack? Honestly when I was once a salesperson for B2B software, they came in and did a presentation... I remember never being more impressed by a security solution than I was with theirs. Was it all just marketing BS?

Comments

• 69 months ago
  • 1 point

Seems like a simple enough idea. The only possible issue with it could be the frequency they use to transmit, but I don't know enough about LoJack or frequencies in common usage to say anything more.

Pretty cringe name though, LoJack. Versus hijack.

• 69 months ago
  • 1 point

At least the way it was described to me when I was a salesperson was that the LoJack name was due to the fact that the software actually hooked in to some very low-level security on the motherboard/CPU, such that even if you wiped the drive, LoJack could still function.

Might have been a bunch of marketing bull, though, honestly. I have no idea if it's true.

• 69 months ago
  • 1 point

Lol that makes my eyes squint with suspicion, to be honest.

• 69 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, I agree. It's not unheard of to have security (or viruses) at that level - programs can reside in the BIOS's flash, among other locations that I don't know the name of, but generally it takes the cooperation of the hardware manufacturers to make it a reality.

FWIW, the guy claimed lojack was partnered with intel.

• 69 months ago
  • 1 point

LoJack was founded in 1978 for cars and trucks and construction equipment. The Frequency it transmits on is 173.075 MHz right by Channel 7 (VHF). The software for computers is a Root Kit it does not hook into BIOS. It can be removed by a simple format utility such as Roadkil's Disk Wipe, because it will overwrite ALL sectors of a hard drive.

• 69 months ago
  • 1 point

Where are you getting this information? Are we even talking about the same tech? AFAIK LoJack doesn't transmit on ANY frequency; it simply uses existing internet connections and GPS to locate the laptop.

• 69 months ago
  • 2 points

Lojack for Laptops is a newer tech to locate laptops using the internet and gps, but long before Lojack was invented to locate cars by transmitting a signal via the VHF frequency. The name was then used for tracking software for computers and such. It is a minimal deterrent at best.

• 69 months ago
  • 1 point

That's some cool info regarding the vehicle lojack stuff. I'm also glad you clarified, because before your post sounded like it was implying the present lojack operated the same way.

• 69 months ago
  • 1 point

Actually, it looks like it does live in the BIOS, and as a technology enabled on Intel hardware:

http://www.freakyacres.com/remove_computrace_lojack

http://www3.absolute.com/lojackforlaptops/support/help/intel

• 69 months ago
  • 1 point

WOW I had not seen that before Good Info.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube