add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Question about updating drivers (C++)

connor333
  • 1 month ago

I used Driver Booster to easily update my drivers on a rig that I've had for over a year now. It's sales pitch is that if I upgrade from free to their, "premium," they will be able to update the following drivers for me:

INTEL Chipset Family SAHA controller Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable (X86) Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable (X64)

Do I really need these, esp the C++? My games appear to be running just fine and such...

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

Don't download crap like Driver Booster!!

Microsoft Visual C++ is a program by MS for writing code in C++.

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

For the most part, the C++ Redistributables don't make any difference to users unless stuff just isn't working (which doesn't seem to be the case here), or they are the types of users that already know exactly how the redistributables affect the system.

A lot of program installers have a first step to check/update the redistributables in order to make sure the soon-to-be-installed program will function properly, and most of the time Windows Updates have already taken care of it.

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

No. A program like that is selling you something that is free*. Since it's windows you're using it isn't technically free, but if it's a driver you can also get it from the hardware manufacturer as well.

Windows Update will automatically keep your drivers up-to-date, and optional driver updates will now appear in a new page under Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update > View optional updates.

You could also goto device manager and manually check for drivers if you have a hardware component in mind.

With drivers, if it's working then don't worry about it. So many times i have wanted to be thorough and fully update a system only to find the newer driver brought new problems that i didn't have before.

If it's something like a video card, you might get more performance with a newer driver, but you may end up with more problems too.

Microsoft Visual C++ is a program by MS for writing code in C++.

Most of the windows updates with a similar title are actually pushed for running programs written in C++ as visual studio receives updates as well. Code is always growing.

btw never heard of a SAHA controller unless it's talking about SATA-AHCI

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube