add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Faster memory or supported memory?

Master-Zixx
  • 1 month ago

Looking at the B450M Steel Legend and the 1600AF. Wanting some white rgb memory (i know, vain, sue me). 16GB. I'm not sure if its worth going with the Crucial Ballistix RGB White 3600mhz cas 15 16Gb kit or the Corsair 3000Mhz car 16 White VengeanceRGB Pro kit. There's a nex to no difference in my country in price. But the Crucial kit is nowhere on the QVL page, not even with Matisse. Whilst the Corsair Kit is thoroughly tested and supported. So for the same price is it worth risking the lack of testing for a chance at a higher speed? Or do I take slightly slower memory for reliability. I also have a corsair case and keyboard, so rgb support is another factor. Considering this would be an upgrade from locked skylake 2133... both would be huge upgrades.

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

I'm not sure if its worth going with the Crucial Ballistix RGB White 3600mhz cas 15 16Gb kit or the Corsair 3000Mhz car 16 White VengeanceRGB Pro kit.

Older generation parts can struggle with speeds over 3200, so you are likely to not get the most out of the 3600 kit, or find yourself loosening timings on it to the point its a performance loss over a slower kit trying to reach full speed.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

If it was a higher end amd cpu like the 3600 and up i would say 3600 but 3000 or 3200 is plenty as a 16gb kit

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

For better compatibility, buy a slower Ram kit. 3000MHz or 3200MHz.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube