add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

USB 2.0 header locations on ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming

DagganGaming
  • 1 month ago

According to the website specs, and box, this motherboard has 6 usb 2.0 motherboard header. But, the user guide shows only 2, and I can only find those 2. Am I missing something physically on the board, or am I misunderstanding the specs

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I do not have that board or the box to read but the User Manual for your MB states that it has 6 USB 2.0 Ports. Further, the manual states that two of those USB 2.0 Ports are on the rear panel of the motherboard accessible on the back.

The manual also shows two USB 2.0 connection headers on the lower edge of the motherboard. Those are just like the connectors on my own ROG STRIX X570-E Gaming MB -- very similar to yours.

If you look closely in the manual, it calls one the headers USB12 and the other USB 1112. Read this as USB Ports 1 & 2 on one header and USB Ports 11 & 12 on the other. (My MB uses the same naming convention.) Each of those headers actually contains the pins for two USB 2.0 Ports each. Thus there are 4 USB 2.0 ports on the MB edge headers and 2 more on the back panel for a total of 6 ports.

Now, the trick is to actually use those doubled ports productively. After some searching on Amazon, I found a pair of cables that came as a kit giving two 5 pin cables rather than a single 10 pin cable. That allowed me to split one of the MB 10 pin headers into two USB 2.0 Ports for use.

I actually needed two USB 2.0 Mini cable connections so ordered some similar to the following to connect my Power Supply and NZXT Cooler for USB monitoring. https://www.amazon.com/Duttek-2-Pack-Motherboard-Adapter-Extended/dp/B072Q1MBSG

If your needs are different, you can search for similar items that have the 5 pin headers with whatever form of USB 2.0 connection you need on the other end.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Thank you. I never realized that the usb case headers only used half of the slots. But I am still running into the problem, that my case cables takes up 2 header slots.(and my aio also needs 2) By the back panel, are you referring to the actual backside of the motherboard?

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Yes, I had the same problem. The case USB 2.0 connectors only used 5 pins of the 10 pin header. It's messy but you may be able to find two 5 pin to 5 pin header type cables with female connections of both ends. Then use two 5 pin by one wide pin sets to connect to the case cable.

Something like this would be similar to what you could use. It is not clean looking but can be made to work. Just be sure to connect with the correct polarity / orientation. You would need two of them.

http://www.cablesonline.com/18in5usbidcm.html

By back panel, I mean the regular Back I/O Port Panel on the top left edge of the motherboard you look at it. It is the part that has all the connectors accessible for the outside of the case -- USB Ports, Ethernet Ports, Display ports, etc. It is the part of the motherboard that lines up with the cutout in your case.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube