add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Help with a simple question

Nowl317
  • 14 days ago

I’m very new to the tech world and am building a new pc along with it I was wondering if I needed to install any other software besides windows 10 home. Previously I was under the impression that I needed to install adobe player(dating myself lol) but I wanted to ask if there was anything like that that I might need to download and what is recommended as safe. All advice is welcome and appreciated!!!

Comments

• 14 days ago
  • 1 point

Depends on what your usage needs are. Do you live stream your gaming sessions? Do you do any photo or video editing? Do you burn music onto CDs? Are you an author?

Windows 10 gets you up and running but it does not include any extras such as Microsoft Excel, Powerpoint, or Word. Those are all annual paid subscriptions. Windows Defender is included and good enough for most people, while others prefer something more robust. And if you want to browse the web more anonymously then there's also consideration for a VPN, or Virtual Private Network.

• 14 days ago
  • 1 point

I’m not a streamer like most people on this site unfortunately. My build is for an at home office. I’m honestly just looking for a bit of guidance and advice when it comes to what’s safe/reliable. I will probably be running mostly Microsoft home office products excel,outlook, and PowerPoint etc. with some light videos in the background along with the occasional game here and there. Can’t really see myself gaming too much nowadays. Thanks for any help!!!

• 14 days ago
  • 1 point

Just get whatever you need at the time you need it really, otherwise everyone uses their PC for different things and it's hard to predict what you will be doing with yours...

Some basics that I usually have on that are free:

• Notepad ++ for text editor
  • Paint.net for any photo editing
  • GrepWin for any text searching (recursive inside folders/files)
  • Adobe PDF reader
  • Chrome for web browser
  • MS Office (excel/word/powerpoint)
  • 6 days ago
  • 1 point

go to the manufacture of your motherboard and check out the software/drivers that are listed. You dont need everything, just decide or post here your specific questions

what is your anti-virus/security software?

• 5 days ago
  • 1 point

I would just update the system(Windows update). Like someone else said goto your motherboard manufacturer download the latest bios.

Goto video card manufacturer, download drivers for it.

I use VLC on any machine because it can play about any video file. These types of programs you can decide on yourself in Microsoft Store. Many programs are free. If you download something and you're not sure about it, goto Virustotal.com and upload the file or link. You can scan with all of the AV engines at once.

No adobe and shockwave type system prepping isn't necessary now days. I would download a second web browser though, firefox, chrome, just for testing purposes if something doesn't work right.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube