add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Seagate Barracuda 2 TB Disappeared

somethingwithther
  • 1 month ago

Kind of a correction to a old topic. But my big hard drive pretty much blipped out of existence 3 months ago. I just managed to get a new SATA cable for it. But it still hasn't popped up again. What gives?

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

it died

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

If it's in youre bios as treloar suggested, booting a linux distro live via usb should see it. If it does I would suggest getting all files necessary off it at that point, its unreliable and condider it luck. Good luck

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Its not in the bios, unfortunately. But I'll give it a try anyway. Thank you.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I agree with xxxtinct, it sounds like it died. How old was it?

Most HDD will last anything from 2 - 10 years depending on how much its moved around, especially under operation. I've had laptop HDD die after 6mths because I suspect they were just bad to begin with. I've owned Seagate barracuda HDD and typically found they last 3 - 5 years in a stationary desktop PC.

If your HDD has indeed died, try disabling S.M.A.R.T. in the bios for your drive and it may boot once more, if it does backup your files.

To be frank I've grown to be a bit peeved with both Seagate and Western Digital. Lately, I've been putting in Samsung SSD and Hitachi HDD and haven't had any issues yet...

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

By now, it'd be 4 years old. Well, that sucks. I'll see about finding the S.M.A.R.T. bios then.

Any specific Hitachi HDD would you recommend?

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Ok, another question, where can you disable the SMART bios.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

It helps us if you post your hardware list so we can say look up your motherboard manual and help you... the reason why I recommended disabling SMART is because that's what I did for my brother' HDD to be able to get into it and backup his files.

There should be an option to disable it somewhere in your BIOS, unless of course its already disabled. Another alternative is to use a USB adapter to plug the affected drive into the PC as a external drive and try to recover your files that way.

Of course it should also be noted it could be too late and you've lost everything, you can either accept it and move on or pay hundreds perhaps thousands to a recovery business to recover your files but that's only really worth it to business user's.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I see.

Well, here's my hardware list. I dunno if it'll show properly. https://pcpartpicker.com/user/somethingwithther/saved/#view=mgLsYJ

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Just out of curiosity you did look in drive management to see if the HDD is present there?

Is it's power cable plugged in properly?

In the BIOS, go to Advanced, Integrated Peripherals and there should be a sub-menu for your HDD... assuming of course your HDD is showing up in the BIOS

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

The hard drive revived itself once I fixed the front fans that weren't running. ....so I guess I'm still gonna replace it, though?

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

best to get the info off it asap just incase it is starting to die , not worth risking the lost of valuable info if you have anything on it, if you don't got a spare hard drive atm to transfer files just leave the hard drive into your pc but unplug the cables from it to keep it safe

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube