add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Video Editing HEVC 264/5 Intel i9-10980XE OR AMD Threadripper 3970X

GraemeN
  • 2 months ago

Hi all

I am looking to replace my 7 year old PC to undertake some HEVC 264/5 video editing.

Choice is down to Intel i9-10980XE or AMD Threadripper 3970X.

There are a few conflicting reviews and many reviews for gamers but I will not be gaming.

I would welcome your comments / advice as to which to choose.

Thanks very much

Comments

• 2 months ago
  • 3 points

Which parts of your workload do you prioritize, and which programs are you using?

Very specifically looking at 264 and 265, benchmarks can vary significantly. For example, 264 in Premiere Pro has faster live playback on the 10980XE but faster exports on 3970X. 265 though is just plain faster on the 10980XE in Premiere. In Davinci Resolve though, the 3970X is faster than the 10980XE.

Pugetsystems has some great data for this: example

Don't just read the conclusions, look at the data specifically relevant for your workload. Better numbers in 8K RED work don't matter if you will never work with 8K RED footage, but they affect reviewers' conclusions.

My preference is toward AMD, since the TRX40 platform should see more CPUs released for it and the performance difference when AMD is ahead (any properly multithreaded workload, exports, working on multiple projects at once, etc) can be quite extreme. But if all you do is work with H265 media in Premiere Pro, the 10980XE is half the cost and significantly higher performance.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Don't count on it. Unlike Ryzens, Threadrippers so far have seen a new motherboard iteration with every generation. They aren't compatible with each other which pisses of fans accustomed to Athlon/Ryzen AM4 flexibility. I would be very tempted to bet that Threadripper 4000 series won't be compatible with TR40 boards that Threadripper 3000 utilizes. Threadripper 3000 may even be Ryzen Threadrippers perhaps,but they aren't compatible with even the mightiest of X570 boards.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Threadrippers so far have seen a new motherboard iteration with every generation

First and second gen were on TR4 and used the same X399 motherboards, third gen is on TRX40.

I would be very tempted to bet that Threadripper 4000 series won't be compatible

I'd bet 4000 will be on TRX40 and 5000 will introduce DDR5 support, requiring a new chipset and motherboards.

It would make sense that Zen and Zen+ use the same HEDT motherboards, and Zen 2 and Zen 2+ do the same. Zen 3 seems likely to be all new for HEDT and consumer platforms.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Truly? Good to know.

Zen 2+? Isn't Zen 3 Ryzen 4000 series?

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Oops. I get this a bit confused sometimes.

Zen was on 14nm, Zen+ was on 12nm. Zen 2 is 7nm, and Zen 3 is 7nm+.

I keep thinking of Zen 3 as Zen 2+ since it's more an iterative improvement on Zen 2 than a massive change like we saw between Zen and Zen2.

If the 7nm+ parts aren't compatible on the same platform as the 7nm parts I'd be very surprised.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes I believe I have heard about Zen 2+ before. I think it has something to do with Sony PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X. Or maybe I have just mixed up few some things. Hm...

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

They said that they will be compatible, though I have my doubts about regular A320 boards. And B350 boards. And maybe even a few B450s as well. That said some B350 boards are comparable to midrange B450s I think. The future has potential to be very interesting lol

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Intel i9-10980XE or AMD Threadripper 3970X.

If you have the money, get the Threadripper 3970X. The difference between the two is far too great to ignore. Remember this:=> The Ryzen 9 3950X crushes the Intel i9-10980XE in benchmarks, gaming, you name it. It also has two less cores. The 12 core Ryzen 9 3900X also wins on many benchmarks. Why on Earth would you choose the aging Intel platform nowadays? The chipset is ancient now and it shows. The only worthwhile endeavor here would be the X299 Itx board by Asrock if you wanted a small form mini itx workstation. Outside of this little niche, no way, Ryzen all the way.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Threadripper 3970X is 32 cores/64 threads CPU ,while 10980Xe is 18 cores/36 threads. 3970X is approximately 2000$,while 10980XE is around 1000$. They were never ment to go head to head as far as I am aware of.

What you should be looking at on AMD side is a 16 cores/32 threads Ryzen 9 3950X for around 750$. In good conscience,I don't have enough information to make a definitive recommendation however as much as I would love to.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

I will throw in my 2 cents here

If you are not after gaming and solely use case is for Video editing.

Dont bother with the HEDT platform

heck the Ryzen 9 3950X will be plenty for you

2019 and 2020 is the rise of the AMD Ryzen CPUs.

Intel reign as the CPU king is long gone.

both the HEDT and the mainstream desktop platform

the shops where i get PC parts for my customer has to restock AMD stuffs almost weekly as they are flying off the shelves.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube