add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Do i go for a B450-F or an X470-F

I am looking to create my first gaming PC build, and have decided that i would like a ryzen 7 2700x cpu, 2x16gb 3200 ram, and a gtx 1660 super gpu. I am unsure on whether i would like to/ be able to overclock my cpu etc. so any advice on that is appreciated as well. I was wondering which motherboard out of the B450-F or the X470-F would be better for me. I would like to be able to save as much money as possible, however i am prioritising getting good parts over sticking to a budget. Thank you for any help you can give.

Comments

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Based on my research:

*B450's are not great for overclocking due to inferior VRM design and insufficient cooling apparatus. The MSI Tomahawk MAX seems to be raved on as a good budget B450; but I don't trust the VRM on it or it's cooling for an 8-core being OC'd.

*X470's are dodgy when it comes to VRM, but there are some good boards out there, pairing a 2700X with this chipset seems to be intended. ASUS STRIX X470 seems to get good reception, seems like boards about the $170-250 price range are when decent quality VRM starts to show up.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

that is false information

look at the Reddit post on VRM quality mobo

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/9uc6bi/am4_b450x470_vrm_tier_list/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/c40x0a/x570_vrm_tier_list_speculated/

there is no reason buying more expensive boards when a cheaper board could do the same job and has good quality VRMs

OP look at the list before committing on the board to buy.

B450 chipset is a great platform on a budget.

If you have money to burn then by all means buy X570

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

All true, but the one caveat to a B450 chipset is that they do not have doublers. So you're going to more or less fight with setting a decent OC. But if you're not concerned with OC and just setting PBO and let the good times roll, by all means, grab that B450. If you are however going to get into some heavy overclocking then that's where, and why, they make the more expensive motherboards, grab an X470 with a decent rating.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

if you can get the X470 board for cheap, yea by all means buy them

but i seeing little to no extra cost getting the X570 chipset

the tier list is still updating but you can already see which boards are good

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Well, the school of thought and Buildzoid from Gamers Nexus agrees, if you don't have a specific need for an X570 then you don't need an X570. They are pricier but the two that stand out budget-wise for that chipset are the Gigabyte Aorus Elite and the Asus TUF Gaming Plus. Both are reasonably priced, have decent VRMs and BIOS and offer future-proofing if you must have it.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

The B450-F is way cheaper than the X470 version so I would pick that between the two.

In fact, the two boards I am considering are the B450-F and Asrock x570 phantom gaming 4.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Your error here is in the Ram. Go with 2x8gb, with savings go for a x570 mb, You say gaming, but you are prioritizing cores. Go with R5 3600 if you can or 2600 and you get the same experience ingame. Stick with a good upgradable patch while perfectly capable for today gaming. I'm assuming 1080p gaming.

[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube