add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

New Microphone For Streaming?

adamxaffliction
  • 3 months ago

My current microphone is an MXL Tempo and I am pretty happy with the quality of the sound, it really is just the amount of it that it picks up. This thing picks up my HVAC, the TV in the other room, the other people in my house, the squeaks of pain coming from my chair - I'm pretty sure I could hear a married couple arguing about 4 streets down with this microphone. With a game playing and me talking, it's usually drowned out, but my keyboard for sure isn't. I've tried various audio filters but none are really ideal for my situation.

So I think I'm looking for a dynamic microphone. I don't mind having to sit close to it, I have a microphone arm. Is it worth investing in an XLR microphone over a USB one if I don't already have any audio equipment? My keyboard also isn't that loud but isn't silent by any stretch of the word (Logitech G513 with linear Romer-G switches) so would it be best to get a microphone with a cardioid pickup pattern or would the switch from condenser to dynamic reduce the noise enough?

I'm looking to spend around $100 at most, maybe $150 if it's really worth stretching the budget. That's all-in, so audio interface included if I should go the XLR route.

Also I normally sit about 8 inches from my microphone with my keyboard a little over a foot away. Is this just too close? I like my keyboard to be closer to the edge of the desk so it would suck if it is.

Comments

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

I just read the first paragraph, and i can tell you that you dont need a new mic. the one you have is pretty snazzy, actually, so you just need to put a noise gate on it. If you use OBS, you can add a noise gate as a filter, and its kind of difficult to explain by typing. try looking up some YT videos on how to do this.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Perhaps I should have explained more in-depth; I've tried a lot of software solutions, including the filters that come with OBS and a few other VSTs and none of them really do what i want. I don't like how the background droning of my HVAC cuts in and out along with me when a noise gate is used, and the noise suppression works quite well for that but doesn't really do much at all for my keyboard and for sure has a noticeable impact on the sound quality.

These things for sure do work in a pinch, but I want a more elegant solution.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

yea ok, i have the same issue with the keyboard, the best thing you can do is get a quieter keyboard... corsair k55?

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Honestly I love this keyboard and there isn't another keyboard out there that I'm aware of that I'd rather have, so if I have to buy something new I'd rather it be the microphone. Hopefully it'll solve the same issue and be around the same price point anyway.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

possibly... im not to advanved in amazing microphones, but the RODE POD mic (i think thats what its called, ill link it) is like 100$ and its really good, but the k55 is a super nice keyboard (i have it) and its like 50-60$ on amazon. thats because its a couple of years old, when it came out it was like a 140$ keyboard :) RODE POD Thingy: https://www.guitarcenter.com/Rode/PodMic-Dynamic-Podcasting-Microphone-Black-1500000270733.gc?source=4WWRWXGG&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIspW74Iik5gIVAtVkCh2EfABeEAAYASAAEgLIefD_BwE

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Do you know anything about the other hardware required for an XLR setup? That isn't a USB microphone.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

usb vs XLR mic, i'd personally prefer a usb for its simplicity and good quality https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQOU2oQlH00

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube