add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Upgrade from ryzen3 2200g to ryzen7 3700x

JJ_FX
  • 3 months ago

Hi,

So I want to do an upgrade in few days. I didn't pay much attention to third gen ryzens and if they are compatible with my motherboard Gigabyte B450M DS3H Micro ATX AM4.

It looks like ryzen7 3700x is compatible. However I remember watching some video (I think it was linus), where before the launch AMD said that you might probably need some next-gen motherboard to be able to use 3rd gen ryzens, even though the socket is the same (or maybe it was about Threadrippers, this is just a vague memory I have).

I can't find that vid now and I don't see anything about it on the internet. So I just want to double check with you guys.

Can I just do an upgrade from ryzen 2nd gen to 3rd gen without any issues?

Comments

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

do a bios update on your motherboard to the bios nesecary for 3rd gen ryzen and you should be good

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

BIOS update, 3rd gen ryzen will work on the AM4 socket, but 3rd gen threadripper (i want that in 2024) will only work on trx4 socket, not on tr4, that's for 1st and 2nd gen threadripper

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

As other mentioned, with an BIOS update.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Owesome, thanks for confirmations!

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Compatible via BIOS update. Keep in mind, it is an entry level board and may run a little hot and may compromise boost clocks from reaching rated speeds. Then again the 3700X is rated at 65W hence no major concerns other than pre-applied voltage overrides which can get a little on the heavy side (something manual tweaks can easily address).

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube