add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Help me finish a build, I can't reach a final decision between 4 mobos which are (to my eyes) almost identical.

Maxiride

12 days ago

The mobos in discussion:

They all satisfy my barebone needs:

• An M.2 NVMe header to use as a boot medium
  • At least 4 SATA and RAID (at least 1) feature for my additional HDDs
  • Support the Ryzen 5 3400G
  • These boards are sold on amazon.it with the latest BIOS firmware for ryzen 3rd gen support
  • ^ it is a must to use the CPU out of the box without needing a compatible CPU to update the mobo as many other B450 boards. I don't own another CPU nor I can ask a friend to borrow one, the AMD lease also it has been reported to be more than two weeks slow in Italy.
  • 32Gb of RAM

All that said I can't reach a conclusion, I could just pick the cheapest one but I don't want to make an uninformed decision.

So if it were you to choose, what would be the dealbreaker between them?

You can see the evolution of my build attempts here, specifically I am trying to see if I can manage to shrink to a mini-itx this build.

I'm fine with the price increase due to the higher miniaturization of the board.

Comments

• 12 days ago
  • 1 point

Have you considered the MSI board?

You don't need a CPU to update the BIOS.

It has the best VRM of the B450 mITX boards and is the cheapest!

• 12 days ago
  • 1 point

Welp, I can't figure out why it didn't pop out from the search results 🤷🏻‍♂️ It is definitely a candidate, however I am confused about the system fans.

In the product details it mentions 1 CPU fan header and 1 system fan header while in the product overview it shows two systems fan headers 🧐

Nonetheless the price of 124€ isn't that far from the others, what do you think that makes this board a deal-breaker from the others?

• 10 days ago
  • 1 point

Definitely only one case fan, but this is standard: two is the exception.

For you it may not be the best board, I just wanted to point out that it doesn't need a CPU to upgrade the BIOS, so you should consider it.

As you are using an APU, it's worth noting that the Asus board only has an HDMI connector and the Gigabyte, HDMI and DVI-D. The Asrock and MSI boards both have DisplayPort and HDMI connectors.

A notable difference between Asrock and MSI, is that the MSI board only has USB 3.1 gen 1, not gen 2 like Asrock.

• 10 days ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the feedback but I don't care much about video as mine will be an headless setup.

99.9% of the time there will be no monitor attached as I will be managing the machine via SSH or remote desktop so I just needed a barebone video card to handle this and after trying some CPU + GPU combinations I eventually set for an APU.

Anyway I previously didn't knew about Y cables and will definitely look into checking the max Amps the MSI header can handle to ensure I can use one of such cables to have 2 system fans.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube