add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Blue-sky / dream machine: Evga "Dark" Build / 2080Ti XC2 (Sub $4500ish)

Lavaspit11

1 month ago

Want to use a lot of EVGA parts on this build - just because. Like the dark board. Not sure about i9 or i7.

I have a EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti XC2 already.

Any thoughts? I know Im wasting money on a couple things here.

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Lavaspit11/saved/#view=VhyGcf

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

You might fancy an EVGA 360mm RAD: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/s3FKHx/evga-clc-360-7482-cfm-liquid-cpu-cooler-400-hy-cl36-v1 Although you may need to switch the case to accommodate one. The 9900KS boosts up on 5GHz on all cores and as expected runs hot. A 360 RAD will lessen fan cycles for a little quieter ops.

I know Im wasting money on a couple things here.

PSU, RAM, SSD are overpriced.

For the SSD, you might be interested in NVME M.2 drives. 3/4x faster performance. Whether your workload can benefit or not, these are more reasonably priced. Eg. https://pcpartpicker.com/product/88bwrH/hp-ex920-1tb-m2-2280-solid-state-drive-2yy47aaabc or you could even double up to 2TB and still save money, eg: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/LxXnTW/sabrent-2-tb-m2-2280-solid-state-drive-sb-rocket-2tb

Practically the same performing RAM @ 3600Mhz 16CL are achievable for as little as $150-$200 - with the added bonus of tighter timing controls for superior performance. Eg. https://pcpartpicker.com/product/w3FKHx/gskill-trident-z-neo-32-gb-2-x-16-gb-ddr4-3600-memory-f4-3600c16d-32gtznc Obviously, the design/aesthetic element may vary by preference but having a hard time to digest the cost of the Corsair Dominator Platinum

PSU - the build as it is will barely touch on 400/450W. 650W/750W already being a plausible overkill. Even 850W is more than sufficient if you were to drop in a second GPU. 1600W is out of this world! The added premium for the Titanium efficiency banding is pointless too unless you're running the build 24/7 non-stop for some electric bill relief.

If you don't mind me asking, whats the build for?

If gaming, what are you pairing up with the GPU in terms of display resolution and refresh rate? Eg. 1080p 144hz

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Hey, thanks! Was thinking of an NZXT water cooler, but EVGA is better. Im challenging myself to build a mostly EVGA-parted rig. No reason.

Its for games, and I'd like to get a sound-card in there for audio production at some point - but mostly games. I want to run 1440. I have this monitor:

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Alienware-Monitor-Resolution-Overclocked/dp/B0777RY75V/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=alienware+34%22&qid=1575420103&sr=8-4

What do you think of the CPU on that mobo?

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

The 3600x and 3700x will both deliver similar performance for less cost.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

What do you think of the CPU on that mobo?

I want to run 1440. I have this monitor: https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Alienware-Monitor-Resolution-Overclocked/dp/B0777RY75V/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=alienware+34%22&qid=1575420103&sr=8-4

I was wandering whether the 2080 TI made sense for this build. With that (1440p ultra) demanding display resolution it absolutely makes sense (although these are pricey cards).

Your display is sublime - the envy of my eye :) I was actually thinking of upgrading to something similar but as usual always holding back considering cost.

You're basically in the "higher resolution" gaming category with thicker pixel densities stemming from a 3440x1440 pixel count. For gaming this somewhat changes things in the CPU/mobo department unless single threaded supremacy enthusiasm suggests otherwise. Essentially, with higher resolution gaming you're going to achieve the same game performance with a cut-throat Ryzen 3700X which is going for only only $300. At best the 9900KS may draw in a few extra FPS pointers but for non-perceivable performance gains and an added premium of $225, for me personally the 9900KS is simply not justified. Where the 9900KS will see more deserving advantage is single threaded tool manipulations in audio production workloads but nothing too extravagant to beg a $225 asking price. You'd be better off grabbing a 12 core Ryzen 3900X to boost audio rendering speeds as these types of workloads are higher core count savvy. Also fantastic for heavier multi-tasking whilst gaming or running simultaneous productions projects on the go.

Dropping some of the "Overkill", without compromising performance but adding valuable gains in specific workloads, here's where I'd be: (keeping the EVGA theme in check, ALTHOUGH mobo possibilities suggests otherwise)

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core Processor $499.99 @ Best Buy
CPU Cooler EVGA CLC 360 74.82 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $150.99 @ Newegg
Motherboard MSI MEG X570 ACE ATX AM4 Motherboard $319.99 @ Newegg
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory $273.99 @ Newegg
Storage HP EX920 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive $114.97 @ Amazon
Storage Intel 660p Series 2.048 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive $204.99 @ Newegg
Video Card EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB XC ULTRA GAMING Video Card $1149.99 @ Newegg
Case NZXT Phantom 530 (Black) ATX Full Tower Case -
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA P2 750 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply $159.99 @ Best Buy
Optical Drive Pioneer BDR-209DBK Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer $74.99 @ B&H
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit $139.99 @ B&H
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $3089.88
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-12-04 19:25 EST-0500
  • $1200 savings and an equally robust build

• For Storage i've thrown in a fast 1TB NVME for the operating system and applications. For audio production workloads you'll want to run all active projects on this drive and archive/backup completed projects to the secondary drive. For the secondary drive, also thrown in a 2TB NVME as these are very reasonably priced and you're spending power is adequate to drop spinning/louder hard-drives all-together. If you need 4TB, personally I'd opt for a more affordable HD but performance enthusiasm may fancy a 4TB SSDs which are achievable for around $400.

• In my opinion titanium PSU's are way-over-rated even for long-haul tasks with only a 2% increase in efficiency. I rather pay a little extra on the electricity bill on an annual basis opposed to spending half a grand on a PSU. Platinum units are also a little overkill for gaming and the "possible" audio production workloads (assuming you're not going to be running long-haul job-lots 24/7)....but.... far more reasonable in terms of cost. Hence added the EVGA PT series @ 750W (more than enough wattage power for this sort of build - more as in overkill already).

• I admit the corsair dominator RGB RAM modules look nice. But are you willing to pay around $200 more for RAM aesthetics? Performance wise, the G-Skill 3600Mhz 17CL is on par and in my opinion if you fancy some RGB, these are the best looking sticks on the planet.

• As for the motherboard - the EVGA is way is way over-priced and is more edging towards custom liquid cooling arrangements. Not sure whether they've sharpened up on the BIOS config, but a couple of years back the limitations were poor, updates were lacking relevant optimisations and the user-experience with some of the OC technicalities were awful. I'm sure at this price range some of those hindrances have been set aside but I'd be more leaning on the more renowned brands with the likes of MSI, ASUS, GIGABYTE and ASrock where product maturity scales very nicely with excellent performance, more convenient user experience + easier UI in BIOS with a ton of configurability. If you end up sticking with the 9900KS, judging from the reviews online (just checked today), the "EVGA Z390 DARK" does pass with flying colours hence nothing of note to be concerned about (although i'd recommend looking further into user feedback before pulling the trigger).

• Last but not least - the case! I'm not sure about this one (left it as it is). With powerful components in a build with the likes of a 2080 TI + 9900KS/3900X, i'd be more leaning towards a more "airflow friendlier" case. Essentially something that doesn't hinder the extraction of air with the likes of either well-perforated vents/openings (eg. NZXT H700/H710) or a full meshed out frontage (Eg. Fractal Design Meshify C), amongst other options. The phantom 530's stack of drive cages and lack of intake is a hindrance to airflow. Furthermore, the acrylic glass side panel robs the "premium" appeal whereby Tempered glass is desirable. You might even fancy a PSU shroud for a cleaner finish. It's definitely not a bad case and will run fine with this sort of arrangement as it does tick several other boxes but IMO there are better options available. Since case selection is a subjective dept i'll leave this one to your discretion.

Of if you absolutely desire going the 9900KS route with the initially selected EVGA DARK Z390, you can still save plenty of money:

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i9-9900KS 4 GHz 8-Core Processor $524.99 @ Best Buy
CPU Cooler EVGA CLC 360 74.82 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $150.99 @ Newegg
Motherboard EVGA Z390 DARK EATX LGA1151 Motherboard $499.99 @ Amazon
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory $273.99 @ Newegg
Storage HP EX920 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive $114.97 @ Amazon
Storage Intel 660p Series 2.048 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive $204.99 @ Newegg
Video Card EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB XC ULTRA GAMING Video Card $1149.99 @ Newegg
Case NZXT Phantom 530 (Black) ATX Full Tower Case -
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA P2 750 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply $159.99 @ Best Buy
Optical Drive Pioneer BDR-209DBK Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer $74.99 @ B&H
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit $139.99 @ B&H
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $3294.88
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-12-04 19:52 EST-0500

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube