add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Anyone know what the differences is between the G-Skill product lines?

EGardner

1 month ago

Other than the aesthetics and heat spreader height, does anyone know what the differences between their various product lines? About the only thing that I've heard is that the Flare X was designed specifically for Ryzen, but even that doesn't seem to be visible on their site anymore. (this list is copied from their FAQ, a question on ram height. I'm curious as to what the different lines are intended for)

• Fortis: 31.2 mm (1.2in)
  • Aegis DDR4: 31.2 mm (1.2in)
  • Flare X: 40mm (1.58in)
  • Ripjaws 4: 40mm (1.58in)
  • Ripjaws V: 42mm (1.65in)
  • Sniper X: 43mm (1.69in)
  • Trident Z: 44mm (1.73in)
  • Trident Z Neo: 44mm (1.73in)
  • Trident Z RGB: 44mm (1.73in)
  • Trident Z Royal: 44mm (1.73in)
  • Trident Z RGB DC: 59mm (2.32in)

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

It is largely the aesthetic to an extent for most the speed but also to provide segmentation. The more expensive stuff tends to also have memory that is validated to a higher speed. So you will likely see higher speed kits with tighter timings go hand in hand with the more premium / more flashy stuff in a manufactures range. You won't generally see their lower tier kits for example have configs running up to 4600 MHz etc. Their sniper X range for example tops out validation at 3600 Mhz while Trident Z RGB goes higher.

Their G-Skill Neo stuff is validated on AMD platforms, however plenty of the other stuff will also work fine on AMD. Its ideal to always consult the motherboard makers QVL list to see what has been validated. Does not mean anything not on the list will not work, just not been tested. With the very high speed stuff, the quality of the memory controller on the CPU also plays a role.

With that said, in that list the DC memory is taller as it also has double the memory chips: https://www.anandtech.com/show/13694/double-height-ddr4-gskill-zadak-2x32gb-ddr4-3200/2

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Thanks! I wasn't aware that the Neo stuff was validated for AMD.

Of course, I'll be checking QVL lists to make sure it is listed. I'm not planning on pushing OCs, but better safe than sorry.

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

Validated in that they test it on AMD platforms or at least that is their marketing approach. As I say, plenty of AMD boards list plenty of G-Skill kits outside the NEO specific kits so matter of checking each one to get an idea of compatibility.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube