add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Memory won't run higher than 2133mhz?

Romans81

1 month ago

I have an MSI A320M PRO-VH Plus (MS-7B07) mobo, Ryzen 5 3600 CPU, and 16GB of Crucial Ballistix Sport LT (2 x 8 GB). My RAM is rated for 2400mhz; however, when I'm in my bios and set it for 2400, it always defaults back to 2133 and will not run any higher, no matter what setting I use. I want to upgrade my RAM, but I'm concerned that, if this RAM won't run higher, I'd be wasting my money to buy higher-grade such as 3200mhz this holiday season. Can anyone provide any assistance or thoughts? Is there some compatibility issue that makes it so I can't go higher than 2133?

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Perhaps a BIOS update might help.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I updated to the latest BIOS about a month ago in order to install my Ryzen 5, so I don't think I have that option, unfortunately :/.

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

I would suggest a manual overclock if XMP is not working as intended. try leaving timings alone, but adjust frequency and voltage a little.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Is there a guide I can use to learn about overclocking RAM voltage? Last thing I want to do is fry my board/RAM.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

well, probably, but what I would do first since all you're doing is those two easy things is:
1.) raise voltage to around 1.35v on RAM (safe voltage range for most ram is up to 1.4v. this is less if you have no heatspreaders on the RAM modules. If that is the case, I would not go beyond 1.3v. If you have a fan cooler for your ram, then I would say 1.45v is the upper limit that is "safe"). all of this pertains only to DDR4 desktop memory. other types of memory will be different and the safe limits are somewhat debatable, though 1.35v with heatspreaders is pretty common.
2.) raise frequency a little bit. I would start with 2400mhz at 1.35v. if stable, go to 2666mhz 1.35v. if thats stable, try for the magical 3000mhz mark. if its stable, I would leave it since you're already on a relatively crappy board. if its not stable, go down to 2800mhz etc. If its not stable at even 2400mhz and 1.35v, your ram is just bad... get some new stuff.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

A320's are not officially supported for 3rd GEN Ryzen. Yes, board manufacturers may deploy BIOS updates for a functional 3000 tiered chip but locked features/performance limitations will apply (in your case - RAM bandwidth + restricted CPU boost clocks).

Rather than purchasing RAM, you'd be better off picking up a B450 "MAX" series motherboard. The Crucial BS LT memory sticks are fantastic and you should be able to push these up around 3200Mhz via manual OC. The higher the bandwidth the closer the boost clock performance ceiling with 3rd GEN Ryzen!

Something like: (MAX = revised with a larger BIOS chip for 3rd GEN full compatibility)

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/BHBhP6/msi-b450-gaming-plus-max-atx-am4-motherboard-b450-gaming-plus-max

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/jcYQzy/msi-b450-tomahawk-max-atx-am4-motherboard-b450-tomahawk-max

Only consider the above if your case accepts a standard ATX sized motherboard. Your current mobo is Micro-ATX and if the same principle applies to the case, try locating this board (currently unavailable): https://pcpartpicker.com/product/h7WBD3/msi-b450m-mortar-max-micro-atx-am4-motherboard-b450m-mortar-max

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

My case should support a standard ATX, but, admittedly, I'm less than psyched about the idea of transferring everything over to a new mobo. Still, if there's no other way, that sounds like the way I'm going to have to go eventually, anyway. 2133 vs. 3200 sounds like it will have a pretty dramatic performance increase. Is the board you recommend likely to last me a good 3-5yrs?

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I'm less than psyched about the idea of transferring everything over to a new mobo. Still, if there's no other way, that sounds like the way I'm going to have to go eventually

What you could try is "manually" configuring DRAM voltages and raise the frequency - providing you're comfortable with overclocking. Raising DRAM voltages may also force down-volting or setting an off-set on CPU voltages (on these particular older board models) for stability. The trick is to down-volt to a reasonable rate without either losing performance or only trimming a narrow drop in CPU speeds (which won't have any/much noticeable impact in gaming performance). It make take several tries to get things in balance or it may not work altogether.

2133 vs. 3200 sounds like it will have a pretty dramatic performance increase.

Yep - keep in mind, although the modules are capable, several external factors may hold you back @ 2666-3000Mhz - which is equally beneficial as Ryzen demands faster speeds.

Is the board you recommend likely to last me a good 3-5yrs?

In terms of reliability/durability, way more than 5 years unless unexpected hindrances occur (same applies to all mobos)

In terms of upgrade-path, no, all current compatible AM4 sockets will see their last upgrade in 2020 with Ryzen 4000-series CPUs.

My case should support a standard ATX

You'll want to double check..... lol A couple of years ago I accidentally purchased a Micro-ATX Fractal Meshify C case when the intention was a reg ATX. I'm still recovering in 2019.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube