add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Suggestion upgrade gaming build, ssd or NVMe woth ?

Alex_PC_lover

2 months ago

hi, guys i need help hope you can help me :)

My relevant pc part:

case: mb511 rgb (3 in fans + 2 out fans) mobo: z390 gaming plus cpu: i5-9600K vga: msi rtx2060 super 1 x samsung evo ssd(500GB) for OS+some programs+few games(demanding or most used) 1 x Hard disk 1TB for storage and games

i'm planning to upgrade my storage for gaming first purpose, so what is the suggestion.?

• Add a ssd 2.5 or m.2 ssd from 1TB(same price for 2.5'' or m.2 version) // WD Blue 3D NAND my choose
  • Replace the actual ssd 2,5'' with and ssd NVMe from 500GB as boot drive and leave the ssd only for games plus the HArd disk for storage e large or non demanding games // WD SN500 NVMe my choose

Space vs speed, what's better ?

Comments

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

Whether its a SATA/NVME driven SSD or a typical hard drive, this doesn't have any impact on gaming performance. SSDs are great for faster game load times (about 35-40% faster) which might save you around 10-20 seconds in load times (depending on game type) but other than the initial load-up there's not much benefit.

If you absolutely want a faster SSD regardless of the performance proposition, i'd grab a consumer entry-level NVME @ 1TB (simple reason: it's only $82). Something like: https://pcpartpicker.com/product/9nhKHx/intel-660p-series-1tb-m2-2280-solid-state-drive-ssdpeknw010t8x1

Or the more cost effective solution: Stick with the Sammy evo and place your most played games on the SSD and all other titles on the hard drive. TBH, i don't mind waiting 10 seconds or so more for game load ups - think of it as free meditation!

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

"think of it as free meditation"

Time to get your game face on !

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

You won't notice much difference moving the OS from a SATA SSD, to an NVMe SSD.

And many games only see an improvement in loading times, not general performance, when on an SSD rather than a HDD.

So as far as improving your gaming experience goes, neither option will have much effect.

But if you can get NVMe for the same price as SATA, then why not? OS & programs on NVMe SSD, games on SATA SSD and photos/docs etc on the HDD seems like a sensible arrangement.

Having said that, personally I would be looking to move away from HDD altogether, but there's no need to bust your budget over it.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

hi and thanks for the info.

Based on your input, what do you think if i increase the ssd storage with a "M.2 WD Blue 3D NAND SATA SSD" / https://pcpartpicker.com/product/CDKhP6/western-digital-blue-1tb-m2-2280-solid-state-drive-wds100t1b0b , it's a sata drive but same price as 2.5'' form factor, so why not avoid power and sata cables ?

Does this M.2(non NVMe) has hottest temperature issue ?

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

There are two listings on PCPP: the one you've linked to is the old, 2D NAND version. This is the new 3D NAND version, which is nearly $50 cheaper (go figure): https://pcpartpicker.com/product/DgJtt6/western-digital-blue-1tb-m2-2280-solid-state-drive-wds100t2b0b

Nothing wrong with M.2 SATA as such, but it's really a solution for a problem you don't have (M.2 slots that don't accept NVMe). And while losing cables is nice, again (with an ATX case/mobo) it's not a problem you have and you'll still have the cables from the other drives.

Not a primary consideration when choosing your drive, but being a somewhat niche product, I don't see an M.2 SATA drive holding it's value in the same way NVMe will.

For the sort of money you're prepared to spend, you might as well get an NVMe drive, because (as you said) "why not?".

Unless you're constantly reading and (particularly) writing to the drive, temps won't be an issue for you.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube