add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Which way do the fans blow?

TheGamingBible
  • 4 months ago

The title is the most noobish question but let me elaborate, I am looking at the Deepcool l240 V2 and I was wondering which way the radiator fans blow, all the marketing photos show it in a config that would have it blowing in?

Comments

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

They are not mounted as it ships so you can set them up however you want.

Looks wise you want them blowing into the radiator to get the best RGB viewing.

Usability wise I prefer to have the fans pulling air through the radiator for easy dust cleaning.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Most of the marketing photo's of that product show the fan's blowing air through the radiator in a push configuration. So fans pull in the air, and push the air out the back through the radiator.

Generally speaking, the intake on a fan will usually be the "prettier" side with a central logo in some cases of the manufacturer on the fan hub. The exhaust side will usually be the one that has the struts leading from the edge of the frame to the fan hub in the middle to hold it, with the fan cable coming out the hub to the edge of the fan and sometimes some details of the fan covering the back side of the fan hub.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

"Blowing in" or "push" makes sense. This type of configuration applies a stiffer static press of air against the fins and is favourable for improved temps. These types of thermal benefits are largely seen in arrangements where the RAD is directly receiving cooler air through a meshed panel or wider side vents. For example, in my S340 elite (non-mesh) both orientations (push/pull) see very little difference in temps (in my test, none)....whereas my Meshify C case (as the name suggests "full meshed frontage") sees a 1-2c drop in temps. These tests were conducted using a lesser strenuous stress test (realbench) and i'm certain heftier synthetic stress tests with the likes of Prime95 would deliver more favourable results in the 2-3c (or 4c) category or lesser in the summer.

In real-world workloads / gaming, the performance difference is negligible hence if you want to maintain the aesthetic appeal with a pull configuration - that works perfectly fine too! I eventually stuck with a pull-config on the Mesh C as our actual workloads saw zero benefit (or at best a pointless 0.5c drop which wasn't worth the aesthetics compromise)

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube