add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
Andreniko

1 month ago

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/CY6fvW

Doing a fresh build, first one ever was about 4 years ago. Any general advice is welcome but had a few specific questions as well as trying to pick a monitor.

1) The CPU cooler potentially needing a separate adapter. Was cycling through a few different MB's and they all had the same issue. How likely is there going to be a problem?

2) I highly prefer Windows 7, what kind of complications could happen if i use it?

3) I picked an X570 board for the easy compatibility with the CPU. Not confident in tinkering with the BIOS so is it worth the money to avoid that hassle?

Monitors is really where im lost, just so many options out there. Looking for at least 1080p 144hz, in the 150-200$ range. I have an acer h236hl from my first build i figure i can use for a 2nd monitor, unless the different refresh rates is a problem.

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

1 I've changed both your cooler and motherboard to avoid any problems, this Aorus Elite has WiFi onboard.

2 Windows 7 is unfortunately no longer being supported, continuing to use leaves your computer vulnerable to hackers.

3 Subjective opinion, but I think so in many cases, you also get extra features like precision boost overdrive and PCIe 4, which helps improve the value proposition.

• Have included a 144Hz VA panel 24 inch monitor that was slightly cheaper than your budget as it appears to be on special offer at the moment.

• I've also made some changes to the rest of your build for you to consider.

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor $199.99 @ B&H
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 RGB Black Edition 57.3 CFM CPU Cooler $39.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 AORUS ELITE WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard $179.99 @ Newegg
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory $69.99 @ Newegg
Storage Corsair MP510 960 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive $124.99 @ Amazon
Video Card Gigabyte Radeon RX 5700 XT 8 GB GAMING OC Video Card $403.98 @ Newegg
Case NZXT H510 Elite ATX Mid Tower Case $129.99 @ B&H
Power Supply Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply $94.99 @ Best Buy
Monitor AOC C24G1 24.0" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor $115.99 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $1359.90
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-29 21:11 EST-0500
  • 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the alternatives, definitely some improvements worth considering.

Follow up questions: 1) Never used onboard wifi, reading some of the reviews it seems to work fine but id really like it to have highly conisistent connectivity for competitive gaming. Whats your take on it? 2) Isnt a 750w PSU a bit overkill? 3) It is a great deal but dont think i am a fan of VA monitors, anything similar with IPS?

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

1 I prefer motherboards with WiFi than using a separate adapter because you don't have worry compatibility or setting up your adapter ect.. Motherboards I've used have WiFi that works fine, though it is better on certain boards than others, the WiFi on the higher end Asrock boards the Taichi & Phantom Gaming X is exceptional but they cost more that the Aorus Elite so you expect it to be better.

2 Yes! AMD has revised their power recommendations for the RX 5700 & RX 5700 XT cards from a minimum of 650 watts down to 600 watts and their general recommendation from 750 watts to 700 watts. So a 650 watt power supply should be fine with the Gigabyte card, (some RX 5700 XT models will use more power though). If you can find a good deal on a 650 watt unit I suggest going for it, I included the 750 watt Corsair model as it was actually being listed as cheaper than the 650 watt model, if they are the same price or cheaper it usually makes sense to go for the higher capacity unit.

3 I can find you an IPS monitor, but unfortunately not at the same price.

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
Monitor Acer NITRO VG0 23.8" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor $149.99 @ Amazon
Total $149.99
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-29 22:19 EST-0500
  • 1 month ago
  • 1 point

The CPU cooler potentially needing a separate adapter. Was cycling through a few different MB's and they all had the same issue. How likely is there going to be a problem?

If this is a cooler you already own (assuming you're coming from an intel platform) you'll need to purchase an AM4 bracket for $5-$10.

If purchasing a new cooler - drop the 212 evo. It's old school. Newer and better performing options are more likely to include both an intel and AMD bracket.

I highly prefer Windows 7, what kind of complications could happen if i use it?

Security is the biggest concern as Windows 7 updates/patches will discontinue towards the end of the year or early 2020. Although functional but without the big brother in the sky Win 7 is likely to be a hack-safe-haven.

picked an X570 board for the easy compatibility with the CPU. Not confident in tinkering with the BIOS so is it worth the money to avoid that hassle?

There are affordable B450 solutions which were revised for 3000-series compatibility out of the box. In other words no BIOS update required. These boards were modified with newer BIOS chips by MSI and are currently available as "MAX" variants. The best of them: MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX for $115 https://pcpartpicker.com/product/jcYQzy/msi-b450-tomahawk-max-atx-am4-motherboard-b450-tomahawk-max

If you fancy a more informed recommendation:

1. A quick view of your currently owned build list would help to see if we can transfer parts over without compromising performance

2. Max budget? (including build + 1080p 144hz display)

3. Purpose of use? Or is it just gaming?

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/m6WB3C

1) This was what i mostly followed for my current build, especially the important things like the CPU and GPU. But i didnt exactly have the best maintenance so i dont mind dropping a little bit extra for the crisp new performance.

2) 1500 ballpark figure.

3) Gaming and i might end up streaming games.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/m6WB3C

A couple of parts you'll want to carry forward:

1. The higher performance tier Cryorig H7 cooler performs way better than the Hyper 212 evo. I recall picking one up for around £35 a few years back and it performed way above expectations.

2. The PSU is 100% more than adequate for a performance savvy gaming rig. Carry it forward!

3. (OPTIONAL) The S340 is an excellent case with sufficient airflow. This ones optional per user preference as I can see the minimalist appeal with the H500. If you're opting for a new case anyway, you might be interested in the newer H510 model. It's more reasonably priced + includes a front panel type-C connect.

2) 1500 ballpark figure.

3) Gaming and i might end up streaming games.

So $1500 for gaming and streaming

If your streaming ambitions hold weight you'll definitely want to target one of the following options:

1. RTX 2060 SUPER / RTX 2070 SUPER graphics card. For streaming the dedicated hardware encoder does wonders with lesser compromise on gaming performance (FPS)

2. An 8-core CPU for software encoding. For best value, either the Ryzen 2700X or for 10-14% performance gains in single threaded speeds, the 3rd Gen 3700X

Assuming you might fancy both options (RTX card + 8-core CPU), this is easily achievable within the $1500 budget. Eg.

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor $299.99 @ Walmart
CPU Cooler CRYORIG H7 49 CFM CPU Cooler $0.00
Motherboard MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard $114.99 @ B&H
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory $69.99 @ Newegg
Storage Intel 660p Series 1.02 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive $82.99 @ Newegg
Video Card EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB XC GAMING Video Card $519.99 @ Newegg
Case NZXT S340 ATX Mid Tower Case $0.00
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA GS 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply $0.00
Wireless Network Adapter Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I PCIe x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter $34.99 @ Amazon
Monitor MSI Optix MAG24C 23.6" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor $169.99 @ Amazon
Total $1292.93
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-30 18:16 EST-0500

Notes:

• $200 short of the $1500 mark. I carried all 3 of the suggested parts forward to the newer build. So you've got plenty of dosh to splash on a newer case (if desired).

• The RTX 2070 SUPER graphics card sees a 5-8% performance gain over the the 5700 XT. Runs more efficiently and quieter. On top, it's what should be targeted for streaming purposes (or the more affordable RTX 2060 SUPER). Other benefits: Ray tracing + overall better optimisations for game compatibility.

• The 8 core 3700X CPU delivers pretty much the same "game performance" as the 3600. Difference, the added compute performance is a better fit for accommodating simultaneously strenuous workloads with the likes of streaming. Keep in mind, even if you're not streaming, games are more leaning towards higher core count gaming hence 8 cores is the finer investment for future proofing.

• Dropped the 970 evo NVME SSD for a more consumer-based affordable NVME unit. These units are only effective in enterprise/workstation class rigs where specific workloads can benefit from the faster sequential read/write speeds. For a gaming and streaming build (and general productivity) the 970 evo will not deliver any benefit. In other words, for your type of use the 970 evo and intel 660p will deliver the same performance and where disparities may emerge in real-world environments it will go unnoticed.

• Added faster RAM. Unlike intel, Ryzen prefers faster bandwidths to unlock the CPU's full potential.

• Added a revised and affordable B450 MAX motherboard. These were launched recently for Ryzen 3000 CPU readiness. Essentially, no BIOS update required. Only consider going the X570 path if you feel you're open to higher core count upgrade options in the long run (3900X/3950X). The suggested B450 is very capable of handling a 3900X at stock!

• I own both your selected and my proposed WIFI card. Performance-wise the Gigabyte unit is flawless. Since first purchase I ended up picking up 2 more, one for the office and one my sisters place. A couple of years on - "zero problems". The ASUS model is great too but i've had a couple of issues on the software side of things (buggy) and the usual on/off disconnects. Maybe newer patches have optimised code which eliminated earlier problems on win 10 - something you can probably look into from more current user feedback.

• Last but not least....a VA panel higher refresh rate display. I can see your current panel is IPS hence avoided TN panels. This ones The MAG24C is also GSYNC compatible. A sharper image 1440p 144hz IPS/VA panel is possible within the budget. Granted, 1440p will trim around 30% performance (fps) as denser pixels place greater demands on the GPUs processing power. Nevertheless, the RTX 2070 SUPER is capable of hitting around 100-130fps in demanding games on top settings. I'll leave this one to you!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube