add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Is booting from a performance HDD bad?

Rector-Stingray

1 month ago

My mom's laptop boots from a 5400rpm HDD. I don't really think it is slow, but the majority of the Tech community says it is not good to boot from a hard drive. Is booting like this really that bad? Or should I consider SSHD instead?

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

If she's happy with waiting as long as she does for the 5400 to load the OS, then don't change it. It's not inherently 'bad' to run off a HDD, it's just noticeably slower. For example, going from a 5700RPM drive to SSD improved my boot time from about 3 minutes down to 16 seconds. A second upgrade to a m.2 NvMe drive brought it down again, less dramatically, to 8-9 seconds. I admit I haven't tried a SSHD before.

Also, I wouldn't label any 5400RPM drive as 'performance'. It's literally the second slowest mainstream option available these days for consumers. Also, you'd likely be better served posting storage questions in the storage part of the forum <3

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

Would 7200RPM be the ideal boot HDD?

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

Bad? No, it will work fine. Ideal? Nope. A SSD is life changing. It will make boot and load times so much faster and make the system much more responsive. Once you go SSD you will not want to ever go back to a HDD.

Also a performance HDD doesn't exist. It may have been a thing in 2005 but even the fastest HDD's are blown away by the slowest SATA SSD's.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

What I meant by that is 7200RPM or higher

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

7200RPM is pretty standard for a HDD, in fact 5400RPM is usually what is referred to as slow. There are 10K RPM and 15K drives but have the same GB/$ cost as a SSD so they are really obsolete.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I thought 5400RPM was the standard. Many people use those 5400RPM drives, and I personally do not see any difference.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

5400 drives were common in laptops because they use less power than 7200, so replacing her current drive with 7200 would be a downgrade in that regard and not much quicker.

HDD aren't "bad" to use as a boot drive, just slow.

If you want to upgrade it, get an SSD: they use less power than even a 5400 HDD and the difference in boot times will be astonishing.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

7200 is the standard in consumer desktops these days (for a HDD). 5400 usually in laptops as they generate less heat, use less power etc. Standard in any decent laptop (or desktop) today will be a SSD however. If you are planning to upgrade, you would want to get a SSD. The laptop will boot up much much faster, but the SSD also has massively faster response which will make general use of the laptop so much better, more responsive, less laggy etc. etc.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Short answer is no nothing wrong with using a regular hard drive to boot from..

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

So using a 7200RPM will be fine, unless the installation is too big (meaning that the file size of Windows is SUPER big)?

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

This topic has been moved from "Hardware > Other" to "Hardware > Storage".

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube