add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Budget minecraft server box... anything i should change?

tech_geek100

1 month ago

Also, should i do Ubuntu or windows 10? I’m very used to windows and know how to tear down the walls on the windows OS, Ubuntu would be lighter weight, but windows is more functional and OS compatibility friendly. Is this a good build for the price? https://pcpartpicker.com/list/kFMW3t

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

What build?

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Ouch, see description

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Oops, it's private!

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

thanks again ;)

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Also, should i do Ubuntu or windows 10?

Well, it depends on your use case. Ask yourself questions like:

• Is is a LAN-exclusive server, or is it internet facing?

• Is it just a server, or are you going to play games on it as well? (and if so, what games?)

• How segmented and secure is the network and what security measures are you taking?

Windows 10 could be a security nightmare, depending on your setup and your proficiency with info sec principles and practices.

I would by default suggest Ubuntu Server (or a BSD variant) over Windows 10 for a server, but if you're planning on running an internet facing server in your house and you have no idea what you're doing, it would be better to rent hosting instead.

Do note that I don't know if I've ever seen someone on this site actually think through what it takes to properly run a server. Most people seem to just think "I'll just download the server jar and port my router and everything will be perfect." It's not that easy to do properly, and unless you're going to do it properly, you shouldn't do it.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

internet facing, games, uhh minecraft (said that in title). of course i want to do it properly, i really dont want to rent server space from a website that leeches my money out of me forever i just want a private MC server between a couple of friends.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube