add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

These tiamats are tempting. Yes? No? Why?

codezer0
  • 4 months ago

Background:

With the size of my head, a lot of headsets and headphones end up being a problem, because most of the time I have to go all the way to their furthest point, and even then, they sometimes just don't fit right. Or end up breaking on something. I've also been a fan of surround sound for pc gaming since even the early 00's, so solid positional audio is kind of a big thing for me. To that end of pursuing correct audio for new and old games, I've also stuck with using a sound card, because onboard is particularly trash at handling anything that needs such software to report correct support, and a lot of those usb headsets basically ignore the processing the sound card would do, so I never really went for that.

But based on the size of the one time I did see a display box of the Tiamat 7.1 locally, and the fact that it is able to use the analog outs from my sound card, they seemed like a no-brainer winner... except on price. Given my history with headphones and headsets breaking, I really didn't want to spend $200 for something that I expect to much more likely meet an untimely end by a part breaking than a set of speakers typically would.

Well, Amazon seems to be trying to tempt me by listing them for (half that)[https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071ZN5PJF] as of this writing. Them using USB for power is fine by me... the thing I care about is having surround sound that actually uses the sound card's processing and not some crappy, basic DAC that doesn't know what it's doing. And the fact that these V2's can allow a pass-through to my regular speakers is a welcome bonus.

So, long story short, this would be the most I would have ever paid for a set of headphones, ever. Is there any reason or objection to why I shouldn't get these? If anything, I'd be using 5.1 out from my Audigy Rx unless I could somehow come up with the adapter cables that Creative made and quietly discontinued for the way this particular card is wired.

Comments

[comment deleted]
  • 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Then, mind at defining what are good cans? I don't even understand that term. As far as I'm aware, there's no such thing. A lot of that has to do with the fact that all of them are marked up as heck just because of whatever arbitrary name is on the box. I see no point in spending $400 for Glorified stereo headphones that are just going to break anyway

[comment deleted]
  • 4 months ago
  • 1 point

I already said the $100 for these Tiamats was going to be the most expensive i would consider paying for headphones. And looking up that model number, those start at $200. Why would i spend that much, ever? They're only stereo, so i lose the positional advantage of 5.1 already. Just on specs, they don't make a lick of sense.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
  • 4 months ago
  • 1 point

again, why would I spend that much for something that's just going to break and still not meet my needs or preferences?

Also, the Tiamat takes the 5/7.1 from the sound card; I'm deliberately avoiding the trashy usb headphones because their drivers don't support any of the audio stuff for the legacy games I still play.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube