add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Question about upgrading from 16gb to 32gb ram.

connor333
  • 4 months ago

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/connor333/saved/kncq4D

So i have the current 16gb RAM clocked to it's advertised speed thanks to XMP mode.

If i were to add more of the same memory so there are 4 sticks total within motherboard, will all 4 automatically clock to 3200 speeds, or will I need to go into bios again?

Thanks -

Comments

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

I also have an Asrock mobo and I've never had to reset the XMP after removing or adding RAM. But it's stupid easy to enable XMP in an Asrock UEFI BIOS so I wouldn't worry about that.

FYI, your motherboard paired with that RAM only passed a 2x8 configuration at 3200 speeds ( click here to see the Qualified Vendors List of RAM for that board ). So if you add another 2x8 sticks to that board, it may not work at 3200mhz. Just so you know, anything above 2666mhz on that board is a considered an overclock and not guaranteed to work. I learned this the hard way.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the heads up on the 2x8 stick situation, didn't realize that part. I'll prob. hold off on it then.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

If you need more memory because you're running short, add it and don't worry about the memory speeds. Insufficient memory is a performance killer.

If you were thinking of adding "just because", or for some hypothetical future situation, I wouldn't rush into it if it were me.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube