add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Compatibility of RAM speeds with motherboard

Coursair

2 months ago

So, in my build I use B450M DS3H with Ryzen 5 2600. I heard that these processors love fast memory, so I've picked Patriot's Vipers at 3200 MHz, but I am wondering, if it would even work, because when I look into specsheet there is 3200 marked as OC speed. Does it mean anything other than having to turn on some profile (XMP?) in BIOS?

Comments

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

3200Mhz OC means the board supports that speed, but it's not guaranteed to work. If you're concerned about compatibility, you should consider the QVL for that board (assuming you're using the non-wifi version). It would also be useful if you posted a link to your parts list.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Here you go:

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor $117.68 @ Amazon
Motherboard Gigabyte B450M DS3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard $70.98 @ Amazon
Memory Patriot Viper 4 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $59.99 @ Amazon
Storage Crucial P1 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive $95.99 @ Amazon
Video Card Gigabyte Radeon RX 570 4 GB Gaming 4G Video Card $139.94 @ Amazon
Power Supply be quiet! System Power 9 500 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $71.94 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $556.52
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-21 15:15 EST-0500
  • 2 months ago
  • 2 points

when I look into specsheet there is 3200 marked as OC speed. Does it mean anything other than having to turn on some profile (XMP?) in BIOS?

You'll need to turn on the XMP profile regardless of whether or not the RAM is marked as OC. Most DDR4 RAM will always run at 2133Mhz at first because this is the minimum spec that needs to be met. The user is the one who has to tell the RAM to run at higher speeds by 'turning on' the XMP profile.

The 'OC' is ambiguous to me because any memory you use above 2133 is considered an overclock. You'll need to contact the manufacturer directly or do some more research about their meaning of the term. Maybe someone else can answer this for you.

I'll be more useful explaining what the Quality Vendors List (QVL) is which will help you immediately. The QVL is a list of RAM that was tested on that board and passed. Click here to see the QLV list for that motherboard. The RAM you want to use wasn't tested on that board. This doesn't mean it won't OC to 3200Mhz, but now you're taking a risk knowing that it was never tested. You're safer buying 2x8 3200Mhz RAM from that list; however, like I said above, anything above 2133Mhz is an overclock and isn't guaranteed to work.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok, I've seen this, so I'll try and pick something from that list. But according to the rumor I've heard - does fast RAM really has that much impact on the Ryzen's efficiency or is it glorified 1%?

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

Ryzen 1st and 2nd gen run the internal Infinity fabric at memory clock speeds. Yes, there's definitely an effect, but the main difference is from 2133 to 3000/3200. Going 100Mhz from 3000 MT/s to 3200 MT/s is not going to make a lot of difference.

Ryzen 3rd gen is a bit different, and while the effect is still there, it's not as pronounced.

BIOS developments over the past couple years has made Ryzen quite a bit less sensitive to memory. I've been buying more or less random 3000/3200 rated sticks for Ryzen 1400's and 1600's, and have had zero trouble getting them to run at rated speed. G.skill (mostly Ripjaws) and Team and I think there's a Corsair in there.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok, so I think I'll stick with Corsair, especially given better CL.

And now I get what "Ryzens love fast RAM" is all about.

Thanks for complex response, it helped a lot.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok, found two candidates. One is Corsair Vengeance @ 3000 MHz CL15 nad the other is ADATA Gammix @ 3000MHz CL16. I think ADATA is more reliable, but is more expensive (a little bit) so I will stick to Corsair.

Also, found weird situation. I found out that single-stick 16GB versions of these memories are actually cheaper than two 8GB (sold in sets). Wouldn't it be better to take just one stick to leave more space for upgrades?

And I found verision of Corsair Vengeance with same CL15 but... @3200 MHz. But it's not on the list, even despite slower version is. Worth the shot or keep it safe?

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

Ok, I've seen this, so I'll try and pick something from that list. But according to the rumor I've heard - does fast RAM really has that much impact on the Ryzen's efficiency or is it glorified 1%?

I'm not sure, I've never owned a Ryzen CPU before. Hopefully someone else can provide you an answer.

I found out that single-stick 16GB versions of these memories are actually cheaper than two 8GB (sold in sets). Wouldn't it be better to take just one stick to leave more space for upgrades?

That is a dual channel motherboard, so you should get 2x8 sticks for the best performance.

And I found verision of Corsair Vengeance with same CL15 but... @3200 MHz. But it's not on the list, even despite slower version is. Worth the shot or keep it safe?

I can't see the difference between 3000Mhz and 3200Mhz so you may not either. 200 extra Mhz is not worth the risk of incompatibility.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

And about supported memory - I am confused about QVL. My memory isn't there (it's only for 4GB Patriot), but I looked at G.Skill and there are two of them, marked as 8 GB module, which would be neat for me (as I am aiming at 16GB), but serial number indicates 32 GB set of those (4x8GB). Technically those are still the same modules, but twice as much, and serial number differs. It wouldn't concern me if there would be just for one set per model, but there is 64GB set listed (4x16GB) as well. What does it mean?

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube