add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

To UK people: help me understand this Duchy thing.

nostalgia2302

3 months ago

I am from North America so excuse my ignorance on the matter but I’d like if some british people could help me understand what it means to be a Duke/Duchess.

Like, do people from Sussex have to give money to Harry and Meghan in the form of taxes or something like that? Or how does it works?

Comments

• 3 months ago
  • 2 points

Also from NA here but I'm pretty sure these are just Princes who got old/got married and they just give them some random *** "Duke of [territory]" title to make them feel special.

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

GeorgeReorgeRartinMartin got it pretty much spot on. Back in the day they used to mean something more significant and the Dukes / Duchess had a lot more power within their lands. Now days not so much, but the title now will be passed down, so Harry and Meghan's kid will get the title eventually.

People in the region do not give money to them directly. How the Royal Family actually get money is from multiple methods and ways, which in itself even varies from country to country (Queen for example is also the Queen still of numerous other countries who pay money depending on exact duties carried out)

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

In United Kingdom the titles of Duke & Duchess refer to ranks of nobility in the British aristocracy. The aristocracy is what used to be the ruling class and is today still considered the highest class in British society. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nobility)

A Duke or Duchess is one of the highest ranks of nobility, in deference only to the monarch and the highest ranking royals, it signifies the importance of the holder, especially on state or ceremonial occasions, it is also accompanied by certain privileges which commoners don't have, but not any particular power today.

They outrank Lords, Barons, Marquess', Earls and Viscounts. Duke/Duchess is a hereditary title, but today there are very few left and the title is usually reserved only for immediate members of the Royal Family.

Certain Dukes along with some of the other holders of titles of nobility are allowed to sit in the House of Lords, this is the second chamber in the British Parliament where all legislation is scrutinised. They have a role in helping to govern the country along with lords who were mostly ex politicians, respected people from the top of their fields in public & private enterprise and the highest ranking Bishops from the Church of England, (no separation of Church & State in the House of Lords).

Ultimately, all laws are passed in the name of the monarch, who is head of state for the United Kingdom and Commonwealth countries around the world including Canada & Australia, currently Queen Elizabeth the Second, who is Britain's longest reigning monarch and has been on the throne for 69 years. (The Commonwealth is what used to be the British Empire and is today called the Commonwealth of Nations and numbers some 53 countries), (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commonwealth_of_Nations)

The Queen has tremendous power and not just in the UK, though she rarely exercises this power, the times when she does are never publicized. This is because the UK is governed by what is called a constitutional monarchy, where for the most part Parliament makes the laws. Unlike in the United States, the British Constitution is uncodified and relies on precedents dating back hundreds of years.

The Queen and other senior royals on her behalf bestow what are called honours, this is where titles of nobility are given and other lesser honours like knighthoods and OBE's (Officer of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire) ect..

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

just google 'what is a duke'

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube