add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Who Knew QVL Was a Thing? RAM Compatibility and OC Question

daykeem
  • 4 months ago

I purchased new Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 RAM and installed it on an existing ASRock Z170 Pro4S ATX LGA1151 motherboard with an existing Intel i7-7700k processor. After enabling the XMP, I found that the system failed to boot (even with stock BIOS). The ASrock website states that the motherboard is compatible with up to 3600Mhz RAM, but I didn't know anything about the QVL list.

I found that the system boots if I set the speed to 2800mhz. I also found that the Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-2800 has better timings but is no longer sold locally.

So my questions are: should I just try to make my 3200mhz run like a 2800mhz with better timings? Does this make technical sense? Or should I just try to stick to the QVL list (which is also hard to find locally).

I've never overclocked memory before. CPU and GPU I'm fine with but the 'timings' factor is new to me.

Full Part List

Comments

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

There is still a pretty good chance you can get you current RAM to run ad 3200Mhz. What is most likely happening is that when you enable XMP your motherboard is looking for a specific profile for that RAM, which it does not have because it is not on the list. So it picks one that does not work.

What you can do is disable XMP and manual set the speed. Likely you simply need to type in 3200 or select it from a drop down. The timings should have been detected and you should not have to play with them.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I will try this as soon as I get home. The QVL list on the website barely had any verified 2x8 3200mhz sticks but I'm hopeful you're correct.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

No problem, let me know how it works.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

I disabled the XMP and found 3200mhz in the dropdown but I still couldn't post. I can only post in 2800mhz but when I stress test the memory in 2800mhz I end up with blue screen. So now I've downclocked to 2400mhz (where I started!). Haha. Too bad for me :/

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

To bad. The only other thing you could try is reducing the overclock on your CPU if you have one. Of course this would most likely not be worth it in the end.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

My CPU is overclocked and I'm sure that's the issue but I think I'm just going to leave everything as is. This was all a good learning lesson.

Thanks for your replies!

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

That is not really true anything over 2133 on that board is a overclock setting and not guaranteed to work. Try manually setting the speed and timings.

The QVL is a list of memory that has been tested on the board they do not have all the memory made to test with. If you look at the list again you will see some of the 3200 memory just worked with one stick and not 2.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah I just took a look at some Z370 boards and it looks like they have more room for RAM overclocking. Doesn't help that my CPU overclocks are pretty high. Looks like I just wasted some money, lul.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

So my questions are: should I just try to make my 3200MHz run like a 2800MHz with better timings?

Yes, if it doesn't work otherwise this is what you wanna do.

What you expect from an low end Z170 chip-set board. ¯\(ツ)

Looks like I just wasted some money, lul.

Why? 2800MHz is already way better than 2133MHz.

And actually, what do you think you will achieve by running the ram at 3200MHz?

Getting 10fps more on every game? Because that won't happen. ¯\(ツ)

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes, if it doesn't work otherwise this is what you wanna do.

Thanks for your reply. This is about the only thing you said worth reading.

What you expect from an low end Z170 chip-set board. ¯(ツ)/¯

Well, obviously I expected it to work? Like I said, I was unaware of the QVL list before my purchase and the manufacturer says it supports Dual channel RAM up to 3688Mhz; or at least that's what the website implies. Laymen like myself wouldn't think there's more to it than that.

Also, I'm free to return the RAM back to the seller if I want to, but I've decided that the store-front I bought it from shouldn't have to pay for my ignorance.

Why? 2800MHz is already way better than 2133MHz. And actually, what do you think you will achieve by running the ram at 3200MHz? Getting 10fps more on every game? Because that won't happen. ¯(ツ)/¯

I want to upgrade my RAM for a few reasons. Firstly because I was running my system in a quad channel setup (4x4) 2400mhz on a dual channel motherboard and I could measure the performance hit this setup was causing. There's also plenty of videos online showing the FPS difference between stock 2133 and other speeds. Lastly, I like the white color with my white case.

If you have any other tips, I'm open to hear them. You can keep your condecension to yourself though, that's useless to me ¯(ツ)/¯

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube