add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Question for the Aussies

LeOrange
  • 4 months ago

Hi, American here. In our school system, we have school around September through May, and have June-August off for summer vacation. Since the seasons are flipped between the hemispheres, I was wondering if you guys Down Under™ have June-August (ish) to match, or December-February (ish) off for your summer? Thanks.

EDIT: I'm talking about public school (K-12 here in the US). Our college/university schedules are a little different (slightly longer breaks). But I'd be curious how your uni schedules are as well.

Comments

• 4 months ago
  • 3 points

December to feb off for summer for prep to year 12. Its the same around the country with 1-2 weeks differences because some states are weird like that.

Uni I think can depend on where you do your course but something like this [SEM 1] 2 Mar – 29 May [SEM 2] 27 Jul – 23 Oct.
More info for Uni breaks and stuff here: https://www.monash.edu/students/dates/summary-dates

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

Thank you!!

• 4 months ago
  • 3 points

We have 4 terms and 2 semesters. Each semester has 2 terms.

Term one goes from ~25 January to easter.

Term two is from easter to the middle of the year.

Term three is from the middle of the year to late september.

Term four is from mid october to ~november 30.

Holidays are 2-3 weeks, with the exception of the christmas holidays, which are ~8 weeks.

So to answer the question, yes we do have a similar summer vacation to you, its just in december-january.

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

Thank you!

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 4 months ago
  • 4 points

My school released in May. I thought that was pretty much the norm.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 4 months ago
  • 1 point

It started in August, just like yours.

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

That's generally what I had too, I just didn't want to write "August through June" to make it sound like we only had a month off, lol.

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

Holy crap that schedule sucks, I've never heard of such a thing. Sounds unethical.

We've always been late may (25th or so) till late august (also 25th or so) for our break.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube