add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

GPU upgrade, any recommendations?

JasonEliasen

26 days ago

This is my current setup: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gYh9Nq ( I currently have a radeon 7870 as the GPU)

I'm looking to start playing some graphic intensive games like the new call of duty modern warfare at high settings. Is it worth it to upgrade just the GPU with my current build or should i be thinking of building a hole new computer? I haven't built or kept myself aware of components since i built this computer approx 10 years ago so hoping someone could provide me with some good recommendations?

I live in Canada and usually use newegg.ca to order components.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• 26 days ago
  • 1 point

well, it cant be more than 7 years old at least, since thats the year that CPU launched. anyhoo, I would recommend starting fresh at this point unless you wanted to upgrade to a cheaper GPU, like an RX 580 or GTX 1660 or something. anything more powerful and you may as well just build a new PC.

• 26 days ago
  • 1 point

If you were in my situation looking to upgrade to play modern games would you go with a rx 580 or bite the bullet and do a full upgrade? I'm not rich but not poor either.

• 25 days ago
  • 1 point

Well as someone who put a GeForce 1070 in the wife's i5 2500k in 2016 and then moved it to an i5 8600k in 2018 my advice is this:

Buy a nice GPU that you'd consider using in a whole new system. Put it in your old system, if you're happy with the results, great. If not you've got the first piece of your new system. And nothing is stopping you from enjoying increased performance in the interim while you save up (if you need to) for the rest of a new system.

In my wife's case the 1070 was a huge upgrade over the 670 she upgraded from, and that's kind of the point. I tend to look at upgrades as increasing performance, not avoiding bottlenecks or maintaining some sort of imagined optimum. And you're not gonna get any street cred suffering with your current GPU while you get all the parts together for a new system. And a new GPU isn't going to care that it was in your old system first for a bit.

• 26 days ago
  • 1 point

I would recommend that you build a completely new PC since your old PC is definitely 'getting there' and upgrading it would be kind of pointless.

I think that you should get an R5 2600 and a GTX 1660 or 1660 Ti. It will be a massive improvement from your current setup.

• 25 days ago
  • 1 point

believe it or not, the single core performance of an overclocked i5-3570K typically matches an overclocked Ryzen 5 2600. its quite impressive actually. still, I agree because you get far more threads and 2 more cores. Also, I would advise a 1660 Super because its $10 more than the 1660, yet performs much like a 1660 Ti.

• 25 days ago
  • 1 point

The 2600 also leaves room for upgradeability and is actually a modern, relevant CPU, unlike the 3570k.

• 24 days ago
  • 1 point

I have done some research and have come to the conclusion that the following be quite the upgrade: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/9VyLPn

is this a good choice of CPU with this high end graphic card? I'm not too interested in overclocking or anything so it doesn't have a upgraded cooler either. Does this build make sense?

• 24 days ago
  • 1 point

I think that'd be a solid build. I've seen from various tech tubers' reviews on Youtube that Modern Warfare will take up as many cores as it can so I think going with a 6 core cpu is a good idea. That gpu is kind of overkill for 1080p gaming but it should definitely last you quite a while at that resolution and even more if your monitor is 60hz.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube