add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Palit 2070 Dual or GB 5700 Gaming OC? (UK)

Yodakane
  • 3 months ago

At the moment there's a sale at CCL and at Scan for the Palit GeForce RTX 2070 Dual at £373.99. On the other hand there's a promo code for Ebuyer for the Gigabyte Radeon RX 5700 XT Gaming OC at £371 and I am torn. They are all new unopened cards, full warranty, the 2070 even comes with COD Modern Warfare with RTX (though it is not a game I care to play anyway).

For some reason I can't find the Palit card on PCPartPicker but I digress. Which should I choose? The 2070, the 5700xt or wait for Black Friday? (I don't have the rest of my system yet).

Comments

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

5700XT slightly more capable on average, don't get it anywhere you can't return it in case you get one of the all too common faulty cards, if you get one of the faulty cards don't bother waiting on drivers or tweaking settings just return it.

2070 slightly less capable on average, has RTX if interested, better for streaming/encoding workloads, and doesn't face the issues plaguing Navi.

Really a matter of if the benefits are a benefit to you with the RTX, or if the slight performance advantage is worth the risk of returning the card until you get one that works properly.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you for answering. All of those stores offer a 28 day window for returning a faulty item, but I hear Gigabyte has very good support here anyway. I was thinking of sacrificing some fps for better drivers but in the end I chose the Gigabyte one. I hear those early 2070 models often had issues with Micron memory and they are still too weak to really deliver on ray tracing. And I'm used to AMD driver issues, they are not pleasant but I can live with them. Thank you!

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

With the 5700 series cards it's not drivers it's an actual hardware fault.

If you can take two cards and swap them on the same system with no other changes fixing the problem it's not drivers.

That's why you want to double check the cards properly working within the return window.

AMD drivers are what they are but this can't be blamed on drivers.

2070 had an issue with some faulty memory on the very first runs of the memory but that's mostly gone by now with NVidia undervolting the memory on the effected models.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube