add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

First Build Problems

ttmallory

8 days ago

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/n2Wnn7

Took at stab at my first build for strictly an editing pc. The build went smoothly. I did all Windows Updates, all hardware updates that I know of. I am frustrated and disappointed with the performance of this build. My video playback in Adobe Premier is super choppy and lags. My rendering speeds really aren't much different than a 10 year old machine that I used to use. I really feel like I am not getting optimal performance out of my new CPU and RAM that should have been a massive upgrade. Is there any pc optimization scanning software out there that doesn't load up your machine with freeware, malware, and other useless crap. I know my parts list is missing items which I reused from my old pc like the case, fans, and the GPU which is a lower end GeForce GT 640. It feels like I have a display driver or RAM issue but I don't know how to hunt it down. I am using the MSI Live Update 6 and GeForce Experience softwares to otptimize. Everything is updated. HELP!!!

Comments

• 8 days ago
  • 1 point

You might try following the guide below. Might help with making Premiere a bit more optimized. Although I do blame a portion of your performance issues on the GT640, you do have a proper CPU and amount of RAM.

If this doesn't work, I hate to say it but you may plan on doing a full system restore or uninstalling ALL drivers and updates that you've installed. If it helps, I typically stay away from the automatic update programs such as Geforce Experience. I prefer to uninstall and manually install each new driver that comes out. At least for the GPU.

https://blog.pond5.com/21645-how-to-optimize-performance-in-adobe-premiere-pro-cc/

• 8 days ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the advise Probably. I have followed the advice on the guide you shared. Still no improvement. I really hope you aren't correct to do a full system restore. What a pain

• 8 days ago
  • 1 point

Did you overclock your RAM through the BIOS? May need to read your manual to with this process, but an easy method is setting the X.M.P to profile 1.

And that GT 640 is going to show its age to some degree but something tells me it's a driver issue if you are getting choppy results. Unless you have the orginal driver that supports the GT 640 (like a disc). I suggest downloading DDU and doing a fresh install driver for the graphics card.

Or down the road, you could purchase a GT 1030 or the RX 550/560 for a tight budget video card for photo/image or video editing when paired with a none integrated graphics.

• 8 days ago
  • 1 point

Thanks Eltech...I was really hoping to not overclock the CPU or the RAM because I was afraid of instability issues. I know this system is highly "overclockable" but the thing that frustrates me is that this system is being outperformed by my 10 year old computer was. It's driving me crazy and I am not experienced enough to hunt this down. I know my GPU is the bottleneck on this system but I was hoping to use this one since I only edit on this rig.

• 8 days ago
  • 1 point

It's alright. Just one step at a time. May need to do a clean uninstall the video driver, DDU great for clean uninstalls for NVIDIA and AMD graphics drivers.

And either reuse your provided disc with the video card if had any or may need to go directly to NVIDIA's website but make sure you select the correct specs related to the video card and the Operating System. Don't install the studio driver, do game ready BUT when you do run this application just do a custom install and deselect any gaming features. Since just need the NVIDIA driver. The other easy method is to allow "Windows" to install the driver but it can either work or not.

• 8 days ago
  • 1 point

Try uninstalling/reinstalling the graphics driver

Check 'device manager' for driver issues

Run 'clean boot' during diagnostic stage

unplug/replug all wiring connections

check video connections with g-card and monitor

• 8 days ago
  • 1 point

Thanks Morgan...I am downloading the proper drivers again and will do a fresh install there not using the automated GeForce Experience software. I have no yellow exclamations in my device manager. I will open up my case and redo the connections to everything. How do I do a "Clean Boot" during diagnostics? Not sure what you mean on that one. Thanks for the help. This is driving me crazy

• 8 days ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, I probably should have worded the better, my bad. ;)

A fresh install would be even better, I didn't know if you wanted to go that far, yet.

I just meant as part of diagnostics, it would be better to run in 'clean boot' mode. But, since you're considering a reinstall we can forget that.

• 8 days ago
  • 1 point

I'm embarrassed to even admit that I don't know how to do a fresh install. Have any guides to do that?

• 8 days ago
  • 1 point

Awesome...thank you so much

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube