add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Vega 56 Worth It At What Price?

spectr3x

1 month ago

Hey PCPartPicker Community,

I am planning to upgrade in the near future (not lately, but maybe in a few months,) and the Vega 56 has been a top choice because it has good performance that can be compared to RTX 2060, but is mostly compared to GTX 1660 Ti. At what price would the Vega 56 be viable, as I see the Vega 56 fluctuating around $350 and $450? I feel like it would only be a good deal if it was under $300 and could compete with the GTX 1660 Ti in terms of price.

Any ideas?

Regards, Spectr3x

P.S. Currently rocking an RX 560, should I upgrade if I find a good deal for the Vega 56?

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

Great question. The new GTX 1660 super is out now too, it is almost the Ti and lower price. Nobody is saying but thought early next year the other RX will be out like the RX 5500. Nobody says a lot about the Vega gpu, I may be shopping over holidays too. Also depends on if you are gaming at 1080 or 1440, what games.

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

I feel like it would only be a good deal if it was under $300 and could compete with the GTX 1660 Ti in terms of price.

Giving you can now get 1660ti performance for $230 with the 1660 Super and the 2060 routinely drops under $300, a Vega 56 would need to be more like $250-$275 to justify its poor thermal, noise, and power draw.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/asus-geforce-gtx-1660-super-phoenix/29.html

If the aftermarket 5700 continue falling in price those are also going to really ruin any value left in Vega.

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
Video Card XFX Radeon RX 5700 8 GB DD Ultra Video Card $329.99 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $329.99
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-07 13:24 EST-0500
  • 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Hmmm. See, the fact that the 1660 Super released, it really disrupts the whole GPU market. Now people get insane performance with the 1660 Super for $230, and basically makes the Ti obsolete. If I find a Vega 56 for $250, then maybe I'll consider it.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

That's only if you're buying right now though.

2070 is making a comeback with faster memory, so price drops on the 2060 series, followed by the 5700 are in the works.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I mean in 3 months or so NVIDIA is going to either make a huge success with Ampere, or they are going to flop heavily, and NAVI cards from AMD are going to prevail, right now, just wait for Navi 14 and Navi 12.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

and NAVI cards from AMD are going to prevail, right now, just wait for Navi 14 and Navi 12.

People are still waiting for big Polaris and small Vega so I wouldn't count on those until they actually launch.

We are months into launch with driver and production issues still plaguing the series.

They have a long way to go before prevailing can actually be considered.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Big Polaris and Vega are still being worked on? I thought they'd moved on solely to NAVI cards. They really need to up their release schedule, it's been 4 months with no new GPU from AMD. Feel like they need to make the RX 5500 fast and compete aggressively in terms of price compared to 1650, make the 5600 noticeably better than 1660S and the 5600 XT faster than the Vega 56 (similar to the RTX 2060). That's the way (possibly the only way) that AMD is going to crawl back to the top.

• 29 days ago
  • 1 point

That seems like a completely unsupported statement. Nvidia is still in the lead with GPUs and doesn't need to take any big risks. While simply porting Turing to 7nm+ will require so many changes to justify a new architectural name, it will probably look like Turing to programmers.

"Big Navi" will require a huge GDDR6 bus, which might just draw too much power to manufacture. They may well be stuck with "sorta big Navi". Being able to really go after the high end might require a post-Navi "full RDNA" (as opposed to Navi's "Vega/RDNA" architecture).

There's also the issue of making several hundred mm**2 dice. Rumors of "low" (i.e. not an issue for chiplets, but certainly justifying the chiplet decision) popped up before the zen2 launch. Yield from a "big Navi" could be an issue. There's equally the issue of Samsung (or whoever) having issues with making nvidia's beasts in 7nm+.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

As of this typing, for frame of reference, an rx 580 8gb card can be had for typically $100 usd used. A 1660 (non-Super/Ti) can be had for $220 new. Inexplicably, an RX 590 sells for $150, which makes no sense.

A used Vega 56 on a blower cooler, can typically be had for around $200. The rx 590 is overpriced compared to either the 580 or the Vega 56. If you can negotiate below $200 for a 56, it's a great option. It just requires a lot more tinkering to get the best out of it and finding a sweet spot of clocks and voltages. You'll also want to look for a better cooler if you have to settle for a blower model, as those that came with better coolers from the factory, are also inflated in price.

My suggestion? Sub $200 USD for a 56, and set aside the savings for an Arctic Accelero Xtreme 3 cooler to mount on it. That should help keep temps in control ans give you a greater experience and some longevity out of the Vega.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Hey,

Thanks for the suggestion! Typically, i wouldnt want to buy from used vendors, but its seems like the Vega 56 on eBay might be a good deal. I would only buy it though if it was readily available for that price on eBay.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Tbh, I wouldn't even bother considering a V56/64 at this point, unless gaming performance/value isn't your primary goal and when the prices for new cards begin to reach what they're currently going for as used cards, which is around or below what the 1660 Super is floating about at.

But then at this point, you're likely just better off going for a 1660 Super, or possibly even the 5500 which in theory should also be around this price range and is supposed to be released sometime in your upgrading timeframe.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Okay, thanks. I was only gonna plan on buying the Vega 56,if it was under $300, and then using the Powerplay mods to crank an OC to supersede the 2060. Thanks!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube