add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Help for getting the best out of my 980 ti

Pwnguino

1 month ago

I recently snagged a 980 ti golden edition for $150 dollars and am looking to get a new psu and cpu to go with it to maximize its performance and maybe even overclock (even though I have no experience with overclocking at all). This is my current build that im planning to put the 980 ti into. Im also looking to buy used parts on ebay to save a bit and im looking to spend less than 200. Ive been looking at this cpu and this psu. Any help or suggestions at all are appreciated.

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

CPU looks OK, but the PSU should be swapped out (that unit doesn't have the best reviews)

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/CZvZxr/bitfenix-whisper-m-550w-80-gold-certified-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-bp-wg550umag-7fm

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Weird, i always had the mindset that my cpu was heavily bottlenecking the rest of my system

• 24 days ago
  • 1 point

The i3 6100 is not an amazing CPU. But it's OK. It was actually released after the 980 ti. And will run most things fine. The only "issue" is most people in the market for an i3 6100 in 2015 weren't in the market for an 980 ti. And then from that we get all sorts of ideas about there must be bottlenecks... it must be horrible, etc. It's not. And someone basically saying "a better system would be better" is really just stating the obvious and really just avoids addressing the issue, "Will you get decent performance with that combination?"

Although if it was me, and I was upgrading from a 6th gen i3 I'd be looking at an i7 6700 or i7 7700 you might as well go as big as you can and it looks like $30-$40 extra for the i7 7700 CPU on ebay. The i5 6600 would be an upgrade, but not knock your socks off huge methinks.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Your best bet it to upgrade to a newer platform rather than upgrade from a dual core to a quad core of the same series.

You could move to the AMD Ryzen 5 line up. Ryzen 5 2600s can be found cheaply on ebay as well. Sell your current stuff and recoup some of the cost.

Just an example parts list for some new stuff:

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 5 1600 3.2 GHz 6-Core Processor $99.12 @ Amazon
Motherboard ASRock B450M-HDV R4.0 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard $59.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply SeaSonic S12III 500 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $54.99 @ Amazon
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total $214.10
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-07 00:12 EST-0500
  • 29 days ago
  • 2 points

Good idea, but be warned that it may cost more, especially if a new Windows licence comes into play (if he used an OEM/key type licence, it won’t be able to be transferred)

Also, his existing RAM kit is rather slow, so it may not help performance

• 28 days ago
  • 1 point

Typically you can still transfer the key. You just have to call and get a new validation number (or whatever they call it) through their automated service. I've reused OEM type licenses numerous times with that method.

[comment deleted]
  • 26 days ago
  • 1 point

My vote is definitely for a new CPU. The jump from dual-core to quad core is substantial. Why not go for a 6600K for a little extra clock speed? It's just a few bucks more.

My last PC i bought in 2006, and at the time it was state of the art. It had one of the first commercial dual core CPUs, the E6400, two cores at 2.1 GHz. It lasted me 10 years before I felt it needed an upgrade, so I found an old QX-6800 (2.9 GHz quad core, originally $1600 processor but bought it on eBay for $50). The performance boost was incredible. Since you already have hyperthreading, it may not double your performance like the QX6800 did for me, but it will still make a big difference.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube