add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Best GPU for a $2k System budget?

Spov

1 month ago

I think the 2080ti is the best for my budget?

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

I rather doubt it.

First, while you don't mention it, I'd have to assume that this is a gaming system (why else pour more than half the budget into the GPU?). Even then, I can't imagine finding room in the remaining ~$800 for the rest of the computer (especially a monitor that won't bottleneck your GPU).

Yes, the monitor can bottleneck your GPU. The CPU almost certainly won't.

In fact, I'd recommend starting with the monitor. What do you want? Size? Resolution? Frequency (can you even see tell the difference in high-refresh rates)? The monitor will at least tell you what other products you need. High resolution and refresh require more and more GPU. High refresh typically demands a fast CPU (with the fastest typically requiring giving Intel its pound of flesh).

There's typically a number of things that need to be balanced in a build: trying to gradually increase everything into a "balanced build" (or even a balanced "gamer" build) might not be the build you want. You might need a lot of storage, and wind up with a bunch of HDDs in a RAID. Or you might not, and a single (TB or less) NVMe card holding everything. But I'd start with the monitor. Resolution and refresh rates are pretty basic, and that will tell you how much GPU and GPU you need (for whichever games you prefer). Don't be surprised if you go through a few different monitor choices before you get a monitor+GPU+CPU choice you like.

So here's how I would go. Pick a monitor. I thought this would make an awesome gaming monitor...

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/DH448d/acer-ed7-340-3440x1440-100hz-monitor-ed347ckr-bmidphzx

And then look on the "build guides for a ~$1500 build (less monitor).

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor $234.37 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler $89.90 @ Amazon
Motherboard *ASRock X570 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard $129.99 @ Newegg
Memory *Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $54.99 @ Newegg
Storage *XPG SX6000 Lite 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive $55.99 @ Newegg
Storage *Seagate Barracuda 3 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $53.49 @ Amazon
Video Card *EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 8 GB XC2 ULTRA GAMING Video Card $613.98 @ Newegg
Case Cooler Master MasterCase H500 ATX Mid Tower Case $116.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply *EVGA 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply $105.98 @ Newegg
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $1535.68
Mail-in rebates -$80.00
Total $1455.68
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-05 19:53 EST-0500

PCPartPicker Part List

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-9700K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor $359.99 @ Newegg
CPU Cooler be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler $89.90 @ Amazon
Motherboard *ASRock Z390 Pro4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard $114.99 @ Amazon
Memory *Team T-FORCE VULCAN Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory $49.99 @ Newegg
Storage *XPG SX6000 Lite 512 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive $55.99 @ Newegg
Storage *Seagate Barracuda 3 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $53.49 @ Amazon
Video Card *EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 8 GB XC2 ULTRA GAMING Video Card $613.98 @ Newegg
Case Cooler Master MasterCase H500 ATX Mid Tower Case $116.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply *EVGA SuperNOVA G3 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply $81.98 @ Newegg
Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts
Total (before mail-in rebates) $1597.30
Mail-in rebates -$60.00
Total $1537.30
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-05 19:53 EST-0500

Both builds seem more or less identical save CPU+motherboard.

Can you finagle a 1080 super? It looks like ~$100 for a 5%? increase. I'd check user/overclocked benchmarks before trying to pull that off.

Storage looks a bit heavy. You might want to put it all in a 1TB NVMe card, but personally I like big HDDs and can not lie...

The powersupply looks over provisioned and possibly underwatted (especially if you crank up the Intel system). I'd drop down to bronze and possibly partially modular if it saves significant money. Just go with a brand you trust, lots of shenanigans in the power supply business (EVGA should be fine).

On the AMD side I'm completely unsold on the 570 motherboard (especially without a PCIe 4.0 NVMe card). Look for B450 motherboards that are already compatible with zen2 chips.

Finally don't forget Windows (unless you have a transferable copy) and other incidentals. The AMD (no changes) comes in (with OS) at $1880, the Intel at $2062.

And then you can always start with another monitor. https://pcpartpicker.com/product/KmjJ7P/samsung-lc32jg50qqnza-320-2560x1440-144hz-monitor-lc32jg50qqnza has a higher refresh if smaller screen (I'm not sold on curved monitors. But if they happen to fall in my budget I'd probably take one over a flat monitor).

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Hi yawumpus,

Thank you so much for this detailed reply. I will definitely check out some monitors. Do you recommend a particular screen type for gaming (such as IPS) ?

Thank you :)

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

IPS is typically not preferred for gaming. It has better color accuracy but raw framerate suffers. I loved my ISP last monitor for gaming, but it was an ancient 75Hz job and I'm a wierdo that puts just about everything ahead of framerate (my eyes are also pretty old. I'm old enough to have put a quarter in a pong machine...).

Don't underestimate size. Going above 1920x1080 can make pixels tiny, and using up more and more of your field of view improves immersion. I'm using a 43" 4k TV as a monitor (cheap! but then again, I really can't see improvements over 60Hz so your eyes may vary. And that TV can't do better than 60Hz in any mode) and while I can't use the whole thing for a single desktop application, the overwhelming immersion really helps in games (VR can be even better).

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Also what are your opinions on this build? https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Bd3Zf9 I can spend up to 2k alone on the PC, which leaves around $500 for the monitor (so 2,5k in total for everything.)

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Looks good, although I can't imagine buying a 1TB HDD. Either go to 3-4TB or go with SSD. You might go with the HDD for backup only in which case looking at external (USB3) drives might make a lot of sense.

The CPU heat sink looks excessive, but I suspect that 8 Intel cores might justify it.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

If you are going to go with a 5700xt choose one of these

• Nitro+
  • Pulse
  • MSI gaming x
  • Red devil
  • Gigabyte

Ones NOT to get

• MSI evoke
  • XFX THICC II or III

The evoke has some of the worst memory thermal pads I have ever seen.

The THICC models have more plastic furnishing on them than heat sink material.

If you want to see for yourself, look up Gamers Nexus. They did a very detailed overview of most 5700xt models.

If you want to save on the cpu, get a Ryzen 3700 or 3800. They will preform very well for the task at hand, come with a decent box cooler, and overall easier to cool.

Also make sure your motherboard can support the RAM you pick. Check the manufacturer QVL list for that motherboard. Not all boards can properly support above 3200 speeds.

I dont think a 360 rad AIO will even fit properly in a Mechify C. Great case but its very compact. Keep that in mind.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube