add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Why $$$ gaming keyboards?

LindenSaturn5

2 months ago

I get why having a 'nice feeling' keyboard is important, as someone who sits behind one all the live long day at work.

Why the gaming fuss with mechanical keyboards, that cost a bomb, then having to spend more effort and cash with o rings etc to make them feel and sound any good?

Are they a 'created' need from peripheral manufactures to get max cash, or is there an actual tangible benefit to spending $100/$200 more than necessary?

Thoughts?

Comments

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

Mechanical keyboard don't get you an real benefits over rubber dome keyboards other then they can be very nice to type and play on. For some, including myself that is worth the extra money. Plus the mechanical keyboards north of $100 today will get you extras like programmable micros keys, RGB back lighting, dedicated media control, ect. So in the end they are not a need, but a nice to have.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

So you're just going to ignore that mechanical switches are more durable and last more than two times longer than membrane.

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

Yes, because those are estimates on life span from the manufactures. Even with lab testing data (robots pushing keys millions of times) real world results are going to vary wildly.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

One of those things where if you have the budget you get something nicer. I've used OE, MS, logitech, etc keyboards always and some are better than others but they do the job and I don't care. However I hate laptop keyboards lol.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

The main reason I got my gaming keyboard was because if you're playing a game that requires 2 hands on the keyboard at the same time the cheap office keyboards only give like 6 key rollover before it'll have some issues registering another key being pressed or something. (which for me was a problem when playing a GTA game flying a plane... couldn't turn and lock onto enemy plane at the same time. LOL) having N key rollover is the main objective reason I know of for a gaming keyboard. I suppose if you use thee programmable keys for something besides personal quick chats in Rocket league that could be an objective reason too. :)

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube