add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
eesti

2 months ago

As a quick question, how do you like to play retro games?

Comments

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

I been playing some off steam, a few you need to set compatibility mode (in win10) So far good luck. I had to get dxrebirth for descent 1 & 2 it looks far better with it and could not get the mouse to work in DOSBox (which will play a lot of old dos games). It was great to play descent again, there are some newer games that are similar. I just loaded up all the half-life games, some I was able to put in my CD key and activate. Not sure what you mean by old games, I tend to like 90s and up games that are 3d FPS/racing/rpg sometimes. Right now on a 27" 1080p they look awesome compared to yesteryear. My 2400G will play them all without even speeding up the cooler fan. Some other games you can find mods for them so they work again, some games fans have made many levels for its really impressive. GOG is another place to find them. I wish steam did more to make them playable/mods/etc as some are hard to get working, but they do have most oem updates, some reviewers give tips. Wait for a sale you can get some of them for <5 bucks. Not perfect but you can search on steam/etc for old similar games and reviews, which can help you find the games you missed out on. Glad someone is doing it because there are a lot of great old games out there if you are not stuck on perfect graphics.

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

I have a lot of remakes on the DS that I like to play: various Legend of Zelda games, FFIII, FFIV, and Chrono Trigger. I also have a PS2 and a PS3 that I play many old games on. (Currently going through the original FFVII on the PS3. Ruby Weapon is insane.) For NES/SNES titles that I don’t have remakes for, I have both the NES and SNES Classics. You can get many old games on Steam and mobile devices; I personally have FFV on iOS. After my FFVII playthrough, I’m going to play FFIX, and then I may end up buying the Collection of Mana for the Switch if I have nothing else to do.

I always prefer to use hardware instead of emulation, so long as there is a reasonable way to do so.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Currently going through the original FFVII on the PS3. Ruby Weapon is insane.

Emerald Weapon has entered the chat

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

I actually felt that the Emerald Weapon was kind of easy once I prepared for it. I remember beating it with like 6 minutes to spare.

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

Oh interesting, I had the reverse experience. I never beat Emerald Weapon. TBH though, I haven't played FF7 since like 2006 lol! I wonder how I would fair if I went back to it now.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Are you telling me you beat the Ruby Weapon? How is it supposed to be done?

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I don't even remember. I just remember it's in the desert by the golden saucer and has tentacles that pop up lol. And I remember getting stomped into the bottom of the ocean floor by Emerald.

• 2 months ago
  • 2 points

I will seriously spend hours searching for patches and mods that take advantage of new hardware. Examples include FreeSpace Open, Star Wars XWA, Won't Commander. There are a surprising number of enthusiasts who update these games, and while they still feel dated, they look and feel worlds better than they did all that time ago. I actually enjoy the process of refurbishing these games and getting them to work with Windows 10 and new GPUs

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Could you be more specific?

I like to play them with a cold brown ale in hand, some pad see ew, and an evening with no other responsibilities.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

I mean that's one way to do it, but I meant like emulation or real hardware, crt or lcd, etc etc

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Well I use emulation because I don't have any of the old hardware anymore, and don't want to collect it. Haven't played any real old games in awhile though except on the Switch, which gives you some NES and SNES games if you have their online service.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

I use steam or GOG. But sometimes I'll dig out my dads Atari 2600.

• 2 months ago
  • 1 point

Have you tried playing your retro games on Lakka? Its a free open source using the RetroArch 1.7.8. You can load it on a gaming rig, a rapberry pi 4, usb drive or even a micro sd. great community . and if some you are freaking out over the thought of doing something in Linux... rest easy there is even a MS and MacOS version .

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

RetroPie as an interesting demonstration of the Raspberry Pi.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I don't actually play a lot of retro games, especially PC games.

When I do, I tend to use an emulator on my phone, with or without a controller depending on what I have packed with me. Something about being able to play old NES or Game Boy titles on the go with little hassle appeals to me; when I'm home, I prefer to play newer stuff or things I can't take with me on the go. There's even the option to explore fan made projects this way, and I don't know if I would really commit to sitting down and playing many of them if I was sitting in front of the computer.

I do own a number of older consoles, and even some of those old joysticks with preloaded games like Pac-Man that you would have plugged into a CRT and groaned about the cord being too short to sit on a couch... The days when I pull out old consoles though have become almost nonexistent. :(

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube