add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

How do you actually remove a virus

strigoi1489

1 month ago

So i scan my pc regularly. How do I actually remove a virus? I never get any bad scans. I use the free version of aveua. I did a scan once. Nothing bad showed up. Then I took it to my it guy and he said i had a bunch of viruses. What Im asking is what do I need to do this myself. Do i need to pay for software?

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

Well ideally the AV is supposed to catch these things before they actually infect your system. But users are sometimes their own worst enemy there.

It is possible for some viruses to hide pretty effectively once they're ingrained and they can be difficult to remove. Sometimes there's specific guides or tools, or the AV can do it in many cases. Sometimes it's just easier to wipe the drive and start again.

So i scan my pc regularly. How do I actually remove a virus? I never get any bad scans. I use the free version of aveua. I did a scan once. Nothing bad showed up.

Do you disable the AV so it's not running in the background. Having it constantly running usually precludes the need to do active scans. Most users are probably better off letting the AV run in the background unless they're really willing or able to deal with whatever may come.

If you did disable it, you only scanned once? In what timeframe?

Then I took it to my it guy and he said i had a bunch of viruses.

What exactly moved you to take it to your IT guy? Did you have an issue, or just general paranoia? I mean there's always a chance of a false positive, but a "bunch of viruses" sounds a bit weird.

Because you're either a criminally reckless user, or your IT guy isn't very good, or very honest. Or maybe you're paraphrasing in a way that makes everything sound way worse than it is. Hard to say. You might want to clarify that a bit.

What Im asking is what do I need to do this myself. Do i need to pay for software?

Well, I mean when we're talking the entirety of malicious software what you realistically need to do is get to the point where you are your IT guy. Because there's not a one button guaranteed solution to your query.

But basically you need to be able to triage the issue. Determine what virus or malware you actually have, search for information about it, and follow whatever guides or use whatever software provided by security experts/companies that you trust and/or be able to otherwise solve your problems one way or another.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

What Im asking is what do I need to do this myself.

Use a decent antivirus and anti-malware software.
Plenty of reviews/charts available on the internet.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I'm not in an expert in security but I would probably first, scan it now Windows Defender, do an sfc /scannow as they may be corrupted files like utilman.exe, this is is just my opinion.

If it's just a common virus I would of assumed it would be easy to remove, by using Malwarebytes.

If it's a more developed trojan I would of assumed you'd need to wipe your drive.

If it's like (i don't even know if this is relevant) "super rat virus" probably a new pc.

Or who knows, the guy who suggested you have loads of viruses could be lying to grab cash off of you.

I'm no expert, just posted on this forum once, which is this one

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

get the free version of malwarebytes and reboot into safe mode and scan your system with malwarebytes.

you need to identify what is considered bad guys then take action

never heard of "aveua"?? did you mean Avira?

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube