add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Looking to buy a CPU

Battlerboy

1 month ago

I'm looking to buy a intel core i7 2600 to put in my old Dell OptiPlex 790. Think anyone can help me out?

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

whats the budget? I have a few friends where I live that have lots of older PC stuff. let me know and I will see if they have something like that for relative cheap. most of these go for about $70, so keep that in mind.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

i'm scrapping by paycheck to paycheck so the lowest they feel comfortable selling it for.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

i'm guessing $50 for something like that. I will ask that question though.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

that'll be fine

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

If you are strapped for cash, I recommend getting an old Xeon, such as this Xeon E3 1245 for only $33.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-Xeon-Quad-Core-CPU-SR00L-E3-1245-3-30GHz-8M-Socket-1155-Tested/264506231646?epid=109634208&hash=item3d95cccb5e:g:-9QAAOSwUvhdrcX1:sc:USPSFirstClass!06878!US!-1

This CPU is compatible with your motherboard and should definitely work. It is 4 core / 8 thread just like the i7 2600. The only difference is that this CPU is 3.3GHz/3.7GHz boost while the i7 2600 is 3.4GHz/3.8GHz boost, a negligible difference of 0.1Ghz.

These Xeons are underpriced as a lot of people don't take the time to understand the naming/nomenclature behind these CPUs. Note that this CPU does have an integrated GPU. Some Xeons do not have an integrated GPU and must be used with an external graphics card. Xeons that have an integrated GPU end with a 5. (e.g. E3 1245 has an integrated GPU, E3 1240 does not).

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

is it a good gaming cpu?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube