add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

#teamtrees planting 20,000,000 trees

tech_geek100
  • 5 months ago

ok, when MR. Beast hit 20 million subscribers, a lot of his followers on twitter asked for him to plant 20 million trees, youtube collaborators can tell him they're in by going to his twitter and just saying the word (over 600 so far). run over to the teamtrees.org site to donate to the cause and a tree costs 1 dollar, so they are going for 20,000,000 dollars to plant trees. We should help spend our streamer money to help stop climate change and having a greener world! #teamtrees

Post write up: i realized that Bob Ross in this situation would whisper "happy trees" and donate millions of dollars

Comments

• 5 months ago
  • 4 points

It is so cool! The amount of creators who have taken part in this is amazing. So worth donating. Definitely going to hit the goal!

• 5 months ago
  • 3 points

I see Linus Tech Tips donated $10,000 for tree planting too.

https://imgur.com/a/AhqrO4E

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

did you see his vid on it?

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

the tree planting cannon was such a good idea. shame the real thing didn't work massively well

• 5 months ago
  • 3 points

you know what I find odd about people that are worried only about the trees? trees do barely anything compared to stuff like algae when it comes to removing CO2/carbon from the atmosphere. We should be doing more stuff with that than trees if the purpose is environmental.... then again, I do like forests. I still think its pretty cool. algae/kelp/plankton also produces more than 3/4 of the world's oxygen supply, less than a quarter is from trees, and the other 2-3% is from other sources.

• 5 months ago
  • 2 points

“ then again, I do like forests. I still think its pretty cool. algae/kelp/plankton also produces more than 3/4 of the world's oxygen supply,”

I think the movements to save the environment are much more about having nature that humans would want. Ever have that fantasy of just walking through a forest?

• 5 months ago
  • 3 points

Exactly. I'm guessing you might know what it is like to have lived in a flat place with no forests, boring. But many places are like that (desert is different, i actually like that type of landscape).

• 5 months ago
  • 2 points

“I'm guessing you might know what it is like to have lived in a flat place with no forests,”

It’s all I ever see except on the occasional road trip.

• 5 months ago
  • 2 points

+1 for liking the desert.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh yeah, and don't forget dessert either.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm not much for sweets, although I like good chocolate and vanilla ice cream. Guess I deserted dessert.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

no, i guess I didn't have it as a fantasy, because my house growing up was on 100 acres of forested land... I suppose for most people this would be more a fantasy than a reality like it was for me. had a nice river too.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Sounds quite fantastic! Was the river large enough for fish?

• 5 months ago
  • 4 points

oh heck yes. rainbow trout, salmon, catfish, minnows, etc.... beavers :(
the river tended to flood in the winter which typically flooded fields, part of the town, and came up to our backyard. although our town rainfall average was about 91 inches per year, we lived a bit out of town and our rainfall averaged more like 125 inches per year. we lived near the coast, so this wasn't surprising. our property also had a natural fresh-water spring.
Forgot to mention the crawdads. lots of those. elk in our orchard if we forgot to close the gate. I have kept pigs, chickens, goats, sheep, dogs, cats, rabbits, turkeys, geese, and probably other animals. You wouldn't think I would be so into tech reading this, but I somehow managed to live rural doing raising animals and stuff and still keep up on the tech scene all the way. my parents still own the land, so I visit them there on occasion.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

100 acres of forested land

winnie the pooh is that you?

• 5 months ago
  • 2 points

Thing is both the algae and trees do soo much more than make O2 for the planet. Algae is the base of the food chain in the oceans and trees are habitat for wildlife that makes our ecosystem work. It is ok to be concerned about trees as they serve a MUCH larger role in our ecosystem than just producing O2 for us.

• 5 months ago
  • 2 points

Older trees do not capture and store that much carbon, but newly planted and growing trees can a do capture carbon as they grow. Seeing as basically every new molecule it adds as it grows is carbon based. It's something like 15-16 pounds of carbon per yer, per tree for the first 25 year.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

an average full grown tree can supply enough oxygen for 2 people, thats still something

• 5 months ago
  • 3 points

oh I absolutely think thats important and I still think trees are great. Don't get me wrong: I am not saying trees are useless or something, I just think more research should be made into algae and stuff like that.

• 5 months ago
  • 3 points

The problem with algae is it can be invasive to animals, and could actually cause problems. Trees, however, provide shelter and food for them. Plus, I'm not sure about you, but algae doesn't look nearly as appealing as a forest of trees.

• 5 months ago
  • 2 points

e.g. algae blooms that kill fish in lakes and rivers

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

i agree with that and have found similar findings. I.E. diatoms, and like you said algae. thx :)

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

It's a lot more straightforward and well understood for people to plant trees, than to cultivate ocean algae. Not everyone even has access to the ocean, but virtually everyone has access to trees or places where trees could grow. Also a lot of people grew up (at least in the US) with awareness being generated about deforestation, and one of the arguments for the trees was CO2 reduction. This shouldn't strike you as odd. I think what you perceive as people being exclusively worried about trees, is more likely a combination of: ignorance of the benefits of other systems like algae + the "I can't do much but I CAN do THIS" factor.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Hey, whatever they can do is good. I kinda figured it was something like that anyway.

• 5 months ago
  • 3 points

I think PCPP should donate. Doesnt have to be a huge amount, but something.

• 5 months ago
  • 3 points

Hey, $50 is only a few coffees. And in exchange PCPP can be part of yet another fun and useful thing.

• 5 months ago
  • 2 points

So sub to Mr.Beast so he has to make another one

• 5 months ago
  • 2 points

:O

• 5 months ago
  • 2 points

The Lorax is smiling upon us...

• 5 months ago
  • 2 points

Elon Musk Donated $1,000,000

• 5 months ago
  • 2 points

Treelon musk

• 5 months ago
  • 2 points

He's going to be on the top of that list for a while or permanently.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

He didn't last long at the top. Tobi Lutke is at the top now with one more dollar donated than Musk.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

Whoever that is.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

CEO of some company called Shopify

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

All we have around here is trees, I get tired of trimming and cutting them lol. Chainsaws are cool, but just not that fun to actually use they are hot and stinky and loud. I mean I love trees and have planted many of them, just saying its a strange thing to hear people talk about.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

I wanted to donate but the website dont work. I always liked trees, even though i dont see them on a daily basis, they're just so useful and versatile.

They provide shade They can give you wood You can grow food on trees They smell nice They just look cool in my opinion. They suck up carbon emissions.. They provide an ecosystem of plants and animals that aren't gonna end you with a single bite.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

I thought this is an interesting choice of words:

“YouTube is matching the next million dollars donated to TeamTrees thru the Youtube donate button!!!!! WHAT IS GOING ON???? TEAMTREES IS ON FIRE!!!”

Just thinking of the logistics of this. To plant a tree, you need to start with a seedling first, which means they need to still grow over 10,000,000 seedlings before being able to plant before Jan 2020! Unless they are doing it differently. The FAQ didn't cover that.

• 5 months ago
  • 1 point

They said all the trees will be planted by jan 2024. Also, as this is a massive charity, they'll already have a lot of different seedlings for various areas of land and conditions already. That won't be an issue.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

I understand he is doing this for a good reason. And is getting a lot of publicity. But what is 20,000,000 trees gonna do? We cut down over 1 billion+ a year which is at minimum 2.7 million trees a day and hes only at like 3million trees.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

Ive seen numbers between 3 billion and 15 billion tress cut per year so nobody knows it seems. In North AMerica and Europe we plant more trees then we cut ( https://twosidesna.org/paper-production-supports-sustainable-forest-management/ ).

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

check again

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

cHeCk AgAiN

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

It was long before this, but I planted 4 trees in my backyard this past summer. Aged trees, and they seem to have taken well to the soil.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube