add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Low Profile - Low Travel

Gress555

1 month ago

Hey, I've been using a k90 rgb for 5 years. Looking to get a new one with my new build and I quite like the mac magic keyboard that I've been using at work due to the very very low travel of the keys and low profile. Are there any decent quality keyboard with similar key-travel for windows? I've looked at the keychron k1, but the key travel is similar to other non-low profile keyboards. Thanks in advance :) <3

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

consider a keyboard with low profile MX Speed Silver keys. While it will travel farther than a chiclet keyboard, it's still a short time to actuation

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

ah, didn't know chiclet keyboards were called that. Thanks for the info :)

[comment deleted]
  • 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the links :) I think I’m just going to buy a chiclet keyboard though, far less key travel and slimmer profile so less wrist strain :>. Not really sure why someone doesn’t start labelling chiclet keyboards as “””gaming””” keyboards due to the low travel. Oh well.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Chiclet keyboards are membrane-based switches at the end of the day, using a mechanical method to activate the membrane, like the old IBM buckling springs. Mechanical boards still have advantages, like not having to bottom out, and being more reliable than membranes.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, but bottoming out is magnitudes more travel distance on mechanical vs chiclet and they tend to be far cheaper. I guess it’s down to personal preference though, and I have very small hands so bending my wrists up from the desk to reach my tall k70 is wrecking my wrists :<<<

I’ll check out the other keyboard types like the buckling spring, I do enjoy the feel of the old IBM keyboards :)

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

try a wrist rest

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I've got two but i'm only 110lbs at 5'5", so it's just too tall for me even with the rest >.<

I have checked out the ultra slim mech keyboards like the keychron k1 and tesoro gram xs but both have their own issues like the k1's large key travel and the gram xs not having good stabilisers on the spacebar, enter key etc. Will keep looking though, I do enjoy the mech feel :)

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube