add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Worth waiting for Black Friday/Cyber Monday?

smorfborf

1 month ago

Looking back at prices for various components there never seems to be much of a price drop around that time, at least not lower than they had dropped to at other times through out the year. This is the first time I've had a build planned around this time of year. Is it worth it to wait? Just go ahead now? Maybe wait but grab things here and there as they go on sale? What do you think?

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 3 points

The main thing about Black Friday is if you’re willing to buy ANYTHING there’s a large concentration of deals on different components. If you have specific components you’re looking for, especially on the high end, it’s not really worth it to wait any more than a week or two.

• 1 month ago
  • 3 points

Exactly, if you have a list of stuff you might get some of them. If you want X item the odds of that one thing being on sale is far lower. So say you need a keyboard or mouse or common model GPU and you don't really care what model it is out of many similar models, your odds are good. You want this one certain motherboard your odds are bad.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

GPUs are a pretty good thing to wait for unless you spot a good deal. There tend to be a few underrated GPUs out there and there’s just so many different SKUs that there’s liable to be a good one on sale somewhere.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I'm going to see if I can pick up a RX 580/590 on sale, they are marking down because the 5500 should be out soon to replace it. There are quite a few models of those cards, something has to go on sale.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I would consider looking on the used market, capable cards like the R9 Fury and GTX 1070 are often going sub-$200

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Yes, I just saw a nice card on amazon warehouse cheap but I'm not ready to buy yet I just don't need it for games I have right now.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I think this answer is individual, as others seem to believe. I have the parts I want selected but that doesn't mean a killer deal on something won't sway me. I'm going to wait until around then, but I'm in no hurry to buy... just want to be done by eoy. I'll never buy if I'm always waiting for an awesome deal bc I'll end up spending about the same if a higher tier item drops. Then again, I haven't built a system in over 20yrs so I probably am doing it wrong.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

there is a search function, lol

but to answer your question, yes, it is worth it to wait. wait for black friday/thanksgiving, dont worry about cyber monday.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube