add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Wireless monitor build

Mozzie21

23 days ago

I am trying to build a computer that I can remotely connect to a monitor such as the Dell U2417HWi which works through Miracast. The idea is that I can use the monitor in various places around the house, along with wireless keyboard and mouse for video editing, graphics, CAD etc. with only the monitor power cable.

I have looked around the internet but everything is for laptops, tablets and phones. I can't work out if a home build PC will even remotely cast the desktop. It might be as simple as having the right processor (e.g. i7 or i9), Windows 10 and a wireless card capable of wi-fi direct but I can't tell, but I really can't find the info, or even examples.

I would very much appreciate any advice.

Comments

• 21 days ago
  • 1 point

It just occured to me that this would be an easy thing for people with a desktop computer and a miracast capable display to test - just windows + k and see if the device comes up pretty much.

• 16 days ago
  • 1 point

So... I built my computer with an Asus PCE-N15 PCIe wifi card. Then I found someone with a Microsoft Wireless Display adapter which Miracasts and connected it to my TV. Success.

So Miracast does work with any PC, i.e. desktop computers as well as laptops, tablets and phones. I just can't beleive I couldn't find anything on the internet that explicitly said this.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube