add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

1650 4 GB vs 1060 8 GB GPUs

chriscrutt

4 months ago

I'm looking between two different GPUs and wanted to know which one is better or the pros/cons of each.

The first one is the Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1650 WINDFORCE OC with 4 GB of GDDR5 memory, a 1665 MHz core clock, and a 75w TDP

The second is the Zotac GeForce GTX 1060 with 8 GB of GDDR5X memory, a 1506 MHz core clock, and 120w TDP.

I don't know a ton about GPUs but I believe it is better to have more memory, higher clocking speed (I'm just looking at core clock as of now), and a lower TDP.

Does GDDR5 vs GDDR5X make a large difference? And would a larger memory be better than having a higher clock speed?

Thanks!

Comments

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

I don't know a ton about GPUs but I believe it is better to have more memory, higher clocking speed

Only if your comparing the same model usually. As your comparing very different model's its not apples to apples.

For reference, the GTX 1060 is the much more capable card in every metric (aside power of which it uses more). Clock speed likewise cannot be compared as the 1060 with its much larger core, even if it was running at a lower clock would perform better due to said larger core. To an extent however that is moot as your listing what are the base clock speeds. In reality with the way the cards use something called boost 3.0, both cards will go beyond those numbers in normal operation anyways.

Check out reviews however: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gm7oyg_s-8k

As mentioned, put simply, the 1060 is more capable. This is why it will use more power so while a lower TDP is always ideal, it also needs to take in to consideration said 1060 is more capable.

• 4 months ago
  • 2 points

There is no 1060 with 8G of ram. either 3G or 6G.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

How much is the 1060 going for? I'm seeing 1660s as low as $210 , since they are likely clearing them out for the 1660 Super.

• 4 months ago
  • 1 point

There really is only one reason to go with the GTX 1650 and that is it can draw all it's power from the PCIe slot alone. This makes the card somewhat ideal for refurbing commercial PC's that have a PCIe slot but no GPU.

For new/from scratch builds, the GTX 1650 makes zero sense unless you have a reason for not wanting a GPU that requires an 8-pin connector, i.e. the case only uses a TFX PSU and so on. There are only one or two PC cases built with this feature in mind.

GTX 1060 is tremendously more powerful than the GTX 1650. The difference in gaming will be obvious. If game X runs at 40fps medium settings with the GTX 1650 it will run at 60fps high settings with the GTX 1060. Night and day and they are about the same price.

If you have a very specific reason for a single slot low profile GPU that can draw all the power it needs from the PCIe slot, then you might find a model or two of the GTX 1650 that can tick that box. In this niche it is actually quite a powerful card, certaintly far more capable than the 1050 that preceeded it.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube