add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

1080 to 2080 Super?

ThePickMan

3 months ago

I built a brand new rig last Christmas where I splurged on a 9900k, 16gb or RAM, 2k 34 inch Alienware monitor and $300 worth of peripheries. But I cannibalized my old 1080 cause I wanted a 2080ti and didnt have the money for it.

I still dont have the money for it, but with Red Dead 2 and Cyberpunk comming out soon I want a new GPU so my first experiances with these games is also the best.

To that end, I'm willing to compromise a bit. The 2080 Super at $700 or so is within my price range and I assume will be more than enough to run any game in the foreseeable future at max in 2k. Is it a good investment?

Comments

• 3 months ago
  • 2 points

I assume will be more than enough to run any game in the foreseeable future at max in 2k.

Doubt it, plenty of games now assuming it is a high refresh rate 3440 x 1440 panel you mentioned in this thread: https://pcpartpicker.com/forums/topic/301327-refresh-rate-vs-resolution if so then no not maxed out, plenty of game out now with settings cranked up will not hold 3440 x 1440 at 120 hz maxed out, will do an average of 60 in some games like borderland 3 for example. However do some smart tweaks, knock off the demeaning settings and you will get it to maintain a solid FPS. besides with G-sync in the mix, it will do its thing when below 120hz.

Is it a good investment?

At the end of the day, with all these high end cards as long as your accepting you pay a steep premium to go up to the next level of performance. So is it a good investment, no not really, the very high end stuff never is, your in effect paying to get next gen mainstream performance early. Now ignoring all that of course, it is a very solid card as it is and will work very well with your monitor. You will most certainly be able to keep a nice mixture of visual settings and FPS. Just make some smart tweaks as more demanding stuff comes out.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube