add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Have you personally had to deal with Cryptolocker?

TheLastBoss78
  • 71 months ago

I've read a bit about it but haven't yet encountered it in the field. I know the best defense is a good redundant backup solution. But I'm just wondering if any of you have had to actually deal with it and how you handled it.

Comments

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

I dealt with a couple years ago when it was first starting to get really popular. The organization that got hit had to pay close to 3k to get their data back because they didn't use backups and it was mission critical data.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Harsh!

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Do you know how/why that org was targeted and penetrated?

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes, but I'm not really at liberty to talk about it.

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Understood. Anyway, I can well imagine it; penetration was probably the typical method, but considering the amount of money requested it seems likely that it must have been a specifically targeted attack.

I wonder if this kind of thing ever happens to companies with white-hat hackers working for them who then decide to go get some revenge on their attacker by tracing back the communications to the viruses' server, performing a man-in-the-middle attack on their communications, and emptying their paypal accounts.

No? I need to stop reading so much Neal Stephenson...

• 71 months ago
  • 1 point

Honestly, back then the cost was just a lot higher. There was no BTC for cryptolocker attacks. You wired it over to Russia or wherever and they give you the encryption key.

[comment deleted by staff]
[comment deleted by staff]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube