add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Sapphire Pulse RX 5700 XT Clock Bouncing around, is it normal behaviour?

MrXanthios

3 months ago

Hi guys,

I monitor my hardware through HwInfo and RTSS. While I am gaming I can see the gpu clock bouncing around. It kind of seems like it is following the gpu usage, though I am not sure. Is this an intended and normal behaviour of the card or is there something wrong with my card?

I was looking at some benchmark on youtube that showed gpu data and it seems like clock is staying on a specific number all the time.

To give you an example in this youtube video you can see the clock stay fixed in every game, in a certain game might be 1721, in another 1733 or 1712:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNwbKGVpcgU&t=719s

My clock bounces everywhere between approximately 850 and 1950. I am a bit worried.

Edit:

I am looking at the same benchmark linked in this post. I have the same exact hardware r5 3600 + rx5700xt, my rx5700xt is sitting at 70% utilization more or less while the cpu is sitting at 50% in Battlefield 5... my system is not using all resources available to push the framerate, I am going crazy I don't know what to do.

Comments

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

This sounds like the card is downclocking due to overheating. The card will maintain a constant clock speed when it's thermals are ok. May I ask how's the airflow in your case. Also how's the temps on the card when your clock speed is jumping around.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Temp with the card are very normal, always well below 80. Most of the the time in low 70s. I experience this even at 60 or 50

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

https://youtu.be/uWwtL8d0qiE

This is a video I recorded myself with RTSS active

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Remove amd drivers and do a fresh install of the 5700xt drivers To see if it fixes anything https://community.amd.com/thread/180667

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

Do you have any V-Sync or framecap enabled by any chance. If either is in play, could be the reason why your components are not running near flat (no need too)

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

I am trying with a fresh installation on another hard drive and it seems the situation is way better. I will continue more testing in the evening.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube