add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

What is overclocking and how do I do it?

Daniel_Amegatse

3 months ago

Getting 9700k and I want to know how to do it.

Comments

• 3 months ago
  • 2 points

Overclocking is in effect pushing the CPU past the specs normally quoted on the box in terms of clock speed. Depending on the overclock, you will often increase the voltages beyond stock and in turn produce more heat. There is a fine balance in play between keeping things stable, temps in checks and performance, a matter of trial and error.

Purpose is to increase CPU performance beyond box specs. The impact can vary widely depending on the application. Some may see an advantage from the extra clock speed, other's not so much.

Usually you will overclock in the BIOS. There are some tool's though which allow you to overclock within windows, Intel's own Extreme Tuning Utility (XTU) allows you to do it within windows, but personally prefer doing it within the BIOS.

Now as to how to do it, I recommend you read some guides:

This tweaktown guide is very detailed, its not 9700k specific, rather 8xxx, but same principles / voltages apply. It walks you through the details of the voltages which is a nice inital read to understand some basic principles of overclocking: https://www.tweaktown.com/guides/8481/coffee-lake-overclocking-guide/index.html

[comment deleted]
  • 3 months ago
  • 4 points

however in gaming you wont notice a difference in performance, the main part where overclocking shines is with Workstation stuff like video editing or animation, also it let's out an unnecessary amount of heat

wat

That is absolutely not true what so ever. Increasing clock speeds can increse your FPS and really increase performance in anything that uses the CPU.It does not let a unnecessary amount of heat, the CPU only draws how much power it needs. Its not just drawing power for the hell of it.

• 3 months ago
  • 1 point

after overclocking my 9700K from stock to 5.0ghz, I can say that there is a difference in games at 1080p and 1440p so far with even a GTX 1080. My framerate improved noticeably by 10+ FPS in most games and some by more than 30 FPS. on top of that, stuttering basically does not occur anymore whereas before overclocking it, it did happen sometimes on the more CPU intensive titles. While more heat is produced, the heat is not unnecessary... its just a normal byproduct of higher voltage and speeds. I can still keep it well in check with even air cooling, though I use a custom loop at the moment which keeps temps to the mid 50 C range under full game load. the voltage is even at a relatively high 1.36v. If you were gaming at 4K with a lesser GPU, you might not notice a huge difference, but I would be willing to bet you'd get a little something. In a workstation environment, people actually tend to NOT overclock the CPU, because stability is favored over the relatively small performance increase for that type of workload (of course, some people still do it, but they spend wayyyyy more time checking for stability than I would for gaming!).

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube