add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Are There Still Landmines To Deal With Switching From Win 7 To 10?

wcurtin1962

1 month ago

I have been thanking of it. I got a HP with a i3 and 8 gigs of RAM.

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

I switched a few years ago when the original free upgrade was supposed to end. I didn't have any issues then doing the upgrade (as opposed to a clean install). So either way. And my developer workstation at work still uses Windows 7, while my home PC uses Windows 10 and I don't have too much issue going back and forth. So for me it's been fine on all fronts.

Heck last year when I built the wife a new PC Windows I took her Windows 10 SSD from the old i5 2500k and threw it in a new i5 8600k and she's been running that same install for a year now, no issues with that either. Pretty much just plug and play, which was great. Purists might boo, but if I had a nickle for every second I spent doing clean installs in my youth I'd be typing this on a solid gold keyboard. Being able to just swap and go is better than a poke in the eye for sure. Although, you can probably do that with Windows 7 too, I just never tried it. Either way, I can't complain.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Thanks, The last I heard 10 was supposedly wiping firmware on video cards.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

Well I haven't heard that one. specifically. But with MS rolling out fairly major updates every six months or so there usually does seem to be some number of users who experience some negative consequences as a result of the next update. Of course users who are affected tend to holler pretty loud and it makes it seem like a bigger problem than it is.

But a few thousand or tens of thousands of people who experienced something truly catastrophic with an update is a pretty small number with tens of millions or hundreds of millions of Windows 10 users. Probability will probably keep you pretty safe. And it's nothing new either. Every time something in Windows changes 10 - 3.11 and prior, somebody had something to say about it because someone, somewhere had their Windows install implode as a result. So it's fine to read that negative news, and dot your i's and cross your t's concerning it when needed. But also take it with a grain of salt, and try to determine how widespread the issue is. Dozens of users, thousands, millions?

Some guy thinks Windows is responsible for his GPU firmware? Or is this confirmed that millions of users have had their GPU firmware's clobbered? One is a legitimate concern, one is probably a bit of clickbait FUD, to illustrate two extremes.

But to be fair I live a charmed life and haven't experienced anything really notable concerning Windows updates in 20 years, so maybe I'm optimistically biased =p.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube