add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Is 2.5 gigabit neccessary?

TheSingingCarrots

1 month ago

For streaming online games at 2560 x 1440 60fps on youtube will gigabit be enough or will I have to go for 2.5 gigabit to avoid lag?

Comments

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

Given that the vast majority of home or even small office WAN connections are way slower than 1 gigabit, I don't think you need 2.5 Gbe. Video streaming depends on fairly intense compression to reduce the bandwidth demands.

Where you will see 2.5, 5, or 10 Gbe connections today are mostly local connections, e.g. computer to local network storage (NAS), intra-cluster comms, that sort of thing.

• 1 month ago
  • 2 points

Unless you plan to buy a $1000+/mo commercial fiber internet plan that delivers 2+G of upstream/downstream to your location, then having 2.5G local networking will have no impact.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

"A small price to pay for low ping"

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

What exactly do you mean? As in a 1GB/s or 2.5GB/s upload speed? If so you are sure you aren't thinking of something else.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

If your network speed is faster than your Internet upload speed (which simple gigabit networks are in 99.999% home users) then you will be fine with your own network speed.

• 1 month ago
  • 1 point

I have an 150MBit connection and I can upload 1080p real time. You dont need even close to 2.5gbit.

But if you are a pro streamer making big bucks streaming your gaming sessions and making 1grand+ a day. Maybe just get it for fun and run your own gaming servers too.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube